ASU baseball has a conference-high six players named to All-Pac-12 First Team

Ryan Kellogg one of the conference's two three-time recipients

Baseball Brian Serven Abiline Christian May 19
Sophomore designated hitter Brian Serven (facing) takes his lead toward home in a game against Abeline Christian University on Tuesday, May 19, 2015 at Phoenix Municipal Stadium. Serven scored the first run in the Sun Devils' 4-1 defeat of the Wildcats.

ASU baseball had six players named to the All-Pac-12 First team Wednesday, including junior left-hander and three-time recipient Ryan Kellogg.

ASU was tied with UCLA, who was named the top overall seed for the NCAA Tournament, with six players named to the team.

Representing ASU were redshirt senior outfielder Trever Allen, junior closer Ryan Burr, junior outfielder Johnny Sewald, sophomore catcher Brian Serven, sophomore shortstop Colby Woodmansee and Kellogg.

Allen led the Sun Devils with a .345 batting average in addition to picking up four home runs and 28 RBI as he crossed the 200 games played plateau and became the 17th Sun Devil with 200 hits, 20 home runs and 100 RBI in his career.

Burr tied for the team lead in wins in posting an 8-2 record out of the bullpen with a 3.24 ERA and 13 saves, becoming the school's all-time saves leader earlier this season.

Sewald led off the ASU lineup all season, finishing second on the team with a .328 batting average while hitting a home run and getting 23 RBI. He stole a team-high 20 bases in 29 attempts, and had an on-base percentage of .440.

Serven was ASU's best power hitter and was excellent behind the dish in 2015, as he hit .301 with five home runs and 33 RBI while also being one of the best in the country at throwing out baserunners.

Woodmansee led off ASU's tenure at Phoenix Muni with a walk-off blast, and emerged as ASU's best overall hitter from there on out. He hit .314 with five home runs and 43 RBI with a team-high 17 doubles while also emerging as a key factor on defense.

Kellogg earned the recognition for the third time in his career after going 8-2 with a 3.67 ERA in 15 starts, posting two complete games (and going nine innings in a third) and striking out a team-high 86 batters while walking just 19.

ASU senior first baseman Joey Bielek, sophomore third baseman David Greer, junior left-hander Brett Lilek and freshman second baseman Andrew Snow were all named All-Pac12 honorable mentions.

Sewald was one of three two-time recipients named to the All-Pac-12 Defensive team.

The Pac-12 also announced individual awards Wednesday, naming Arizona's Scott Kingery the Pac-12 Player of the Year and batting champion after the Golden Spikes Award semifinalist batted .392. Kingery is the first two-time batting champion since Brett Wallace in 2007-08.

The conference named UCLA closer David Berg as the Pac-12 Pitcher of the Year after leading the conference with a 0.73 ERA and posting 12 saves. He is also a semifinalist for the Golden Spikes Award.

USC catcher Garrett Stubbs garnered Pac-12 Defensive Player of the Year honors, throwing out 54 percent of would-be base stealers and also batting .330 at the plate.

Oregon State's KJ Harrison was named Pac-12 Freshman of the Year after batting .314 with 10 home runs and a conference-best 58 RBI.

UCLA head coach John Savage was named Pac-12 Coach of the Year after leading the Bruins to the No. 1 overall seed in the NCAA Tournament with a record of 42-14. Savage has led UCLA to three Pac-12 titles in the last five seasons. 

No. 2-seeded ASU baseball opens the Fullerton Regional Friday at 3 p.m. against Clemson.

Reach the reporter at fardaya@asu.edu or follow @fardaya15 on Twitter.

×