ASU women's golf's Monica Vaughn finishes fifth at NCAA championships

Vaughn slips in final round, but completes a top-five finish

Monica Vaughn

Sophomore Monica Vaughn hits the ball down the fairway at the 2015 Clover Cup on Friday March 13, 2015 at Longbow Golf Club in Mesa. 

ASU women's golf sophomore Monica Vaughn shot a par-72 to complete the NCAA championships in fifth place Monday.

Vaughn finished at 1-over-par through 72 holes at the Concession Golf Club in Bradenton, Florida.

Vaughn, the only Sun Devil to make the championships, was in second place entering play Monday, which saw the completion of the third round and fourth round after Sunday's round was ended abruptly due to weather.

The weather continued Monday, with a weather delay that lasted almost an hour during Vaughn's final round.

Alabama's Emma Talley kept her Sunday lead to finish as the school's first-ever NCAA individual national champion, shooting 3-under-par for the tournament.

The sophomore from Reedsport, Oregon, was surpassed in the final round by Gabby Lopez (Arkansas), Leona Maguire (Duke) and Dylan Kim (Baylor), who shot 6-under-par, 4-under-par and 5-under-par respectively during the final day of the tournament.

Vaughn finished with the second-most birdies for the tournament with 15, and finished second behind Talley in par-four scoring.

Vaughn's breakdown, round by round:

Round 1: 75 (3+)

Round 2: 71 (-1)

Round 3: 71 (-1)

Round 4: 72 (E)

NCAA championships leaderboard (school in parenthesis):

Emma Talley (Alabama) -3

Gabby Lopez (Arkansas) -2

Leona Maguire (Duke) -2

Dylan Kim (Baylor) E

Monica Vaughn (ASU) 1+

Reach the reporter at fardaya@asu.edu or follow @fardaya15 on Twitter.

×