ASU hires Missy Farr-Kaye as its women's golf coach

Farr-Kaye is a former Sun Devil student-athlete and coach

Missy Farr-Kaye

(Photo Courtesy of Sun Devil Athletics)

Missy Farr-Kaye has been hired as the next ASU women's golf coach, athletic director Ray Anderson announced Friday.

Farr-Kaye had been serving as the Sun Devils' interim head coach after former coach Melissa Luellen left to take the same position at Auburn. Farr-Kaye previously served as an assistant and associate head coach for the Sun Devils through the past 13 seasons.

“The interest in the position of head coach for the women’s golf program was competitive and after evaluating all options, it was clear that Missy Farr-Kaye was undoubtedly the choice for the position,” Anderson in a statement. “Missy’s track record of success, the support from the Phoenix golf community and former golfers, and her passion and enthusiasm for Sun Devil Athletics and our student-athletes all confirm that we have the top coach in the country right here at Arizona State.”

Farr-Kaye was part of the staff that led ASU to its seventh women's golf national title in 2009, as well as part of the staff that coached Azahara Munoz to the individual NCAA championship in 2008. 

Alongside Luellen, Farr-Kaye coached her teams to 24 All-American selections and saw three student-athletes win the Pac-12 Golfer of the Year award. 

“This is my dream job in every sense of the word,” Farr-Kaye said. “I grew up playing junior golf at Papago Golf Course. I graduated from Arizona State and won a NCAA Title under Linda Vollstedt. To become the head women’s golf coach of my alma mater is the pinnacle of my career and I have a personal, vested interest in the success of our program. Our goal is to continue to bring home the national title, year in, year out. Arizona State has championship expectations and I intend to deliver.”

Farr, who played on the 1990 ASU women's golf team that won the school's first national title, is a two-time breast cancer survivor.

After battling a reoccurrence with the disease during the 2008-09 season, Farr-Kaye returned to the coaching circle to help lead ASU to a national title. For her efforts, she was the first coach ever awarded the Kim Moore Strength Award by the Women's Golf Coach Association.

Reach the reporter at fardaya@asu.edu or follow him on Twitter @fardaya15.

×