Tempe Police: Gang member commits hit and run, threatens surrounding police

Police Beat Photo

Tempe Police Headquarters

Tempe Police reported the following incident Tuesday:

A 30-year-old Phoenix man was arrested June 6 at the intersection of West Rio Salado parkway and South Priest Drive on suspicion of gang threat/affiliation, weapon possession, driving with a suspended license, drinking while driving and fleeing a car wreck, according to a police report.

Officers received a call about a hit and run accident involving a Chevy Impala at the interception of Kyrene and Warner in Tempe, police reported.

At the intersection of Baseline and Hardy, a policeman located the vehicle, which sped off north on Hardy upon police arrival, according to the report.

The officer sent a dispatch through the Tempe Police Department to search for the runaway Chevy Impala, and an unmarked patrol car soon witnessed the car speed past on first street and Farmer, police reported.

Two cars followed the man and conducted a vehicle stop, but the driver drove away once again and wrecked at the intersection of Priest and Rio Salado, according to the report.

The driver then ran from the wrecked vehicle into a nearby parking lot, police reported.

Police encircled the man, who had his right hand in his waist band, and gave several commands, according to the report.

The man refused to show his hands and told the officers he was “strapped,” police reported.

He yelled that he was part of the Mexican Mafia and threatened to shoot the officers giving commands as well as their dog, according to the report.

One of the officers taxed the man and took him into custody, police reported.

During a search on his vehicle, police discovered a GSG-5 .22 caliber rifle in the back seat, within reach of the man, according to the report.

A records check revealed that the man is a convicted felon who hasn’t had his rights restored, police reported

During an interview, the man admitted to fleeing from police, though he denied any knowledge of the backseat rifle, according to the report.

When questioned about this affiliation with the Mexican Mafia, the man said “look me up” while raising his shirt to reveal an earned gang-member tattoo, police reported.

The man is a documented member of the Arizona Mexican Mafia as well as the South Side Mesa criminal street gang, according to the report.

He also admitted to drinking before entering the vehicle and said he did not remember much from the incident, police reported.

The man was booked into Tempe City Jail and held to see a judge, according to the report.

Reach the reporter at aplante@asu.edu or follow her on Twitter @aimeenplante

×