Tempe Police: Man punches cab, yells derogatory terms

Police Beat Photo

Tempe Police Headquarters

A 25-year-old Mesa man was arrested June 8 at the 3000 block of South Mill Avenue in Tempe on suspicion of assault and criminal damage he committed in May, according to a police report. 

At that time in May, the man grabbed and shoved the victim into an apartment and broke the victim’s cellphone, police said.

After the arrest, a search revealed that the man had a usable quantity of methamphetamine in his pocket, as well as in his apartment, according to the report.

The man was transported and booked in Tempe City Jail where he was held to see a judge for one count of assault, one count of criminal damage and release pending for one count of drug possession, police reported. 

A 38-year-old Phoenix man was arrested in the alley behind Jack-in-the-Box located on the 700 block of South Mill Avenue in Tempe on June 13 on suspicion of disorderly conduct, possession of marijuana and possession of drug paraphernalia, according to a police report. 

A cab driver parked in the alley behind Jack-in-the-Box flagged down Tempe Police Department bike officers after a confrontation with the man, police said.

The man had approached the cab driver’s vehicle unprovoked and punched it approximately three times, according to the report.

While this did not cause any damage to the vehicle, the cab driver said it caused a major disruption and caused him to lose customers who were exiting the establishment, police said.

After punching the vehicle, the man yelled several derogatory terms at the cab driver, and shouted “Go back to your country,” before walking away, the report said.

It was at this time that the cab driver located police, according to the report.

Upon contact with the man, police officers noticed a bag protruding from his pocket and asked him to remove it, police said.

The man complied and handed the bag over, which was found to contain a pipe and cigarette, each containing burnt marijuana, according to the police report.

The man was then arrested while the cab driver was still under questioning, police said.

The man was transported to Tempe City Jail where he was booked to see a judge regarding his disorderly conduct charge, the report said.

The man was booked and released pending for marijuana possession and drug paraphernalia possession, police said.

Reports compiled by Isabella Castillo

Reach the reporter at icastil3@asu.edu or follow @isabella_m_cast on twitter

Like The State Press on Facebook and follow @statepress on Twitter

×