ASU football wraps up summer workout session behind its senior leadership

Sun Devil stars Mike Bercovici, D.J. Foster and Jordan Simone wrapped up their final summer workouts in Tempe

Football summer D.J. Foster break the rock
Senior running back D.J. Foster breaks the rock during ASU football's last summer workout on Friday, July 24, 2015 at the the Verde Dickey Dome in Tempe. Breaking the rock is an annual Sun Devil football tradition that marks the end of summer practices and the beginning of the new season.

ASU football senior wide receiver D.J. Foster opened his final speech of the team's summer workouts by saying his team should be a mess compared to what it is right now.

He's right.

Foster, who has caught a pass in and played in every game since coming to Tempe four years ago, didn't know anyone in this senior class when he first arrived.

Others redshirted. Others transferred. Some stayed when they weren't expected to.

Three of ASU's senior captains -- Foster, redshirt senior quarterback Mike Bercovici and redshirt senior Jordan Simone -- each took varying paths to reach one goal: win a championship.

Foster was the "Hometown Hero," the Saguaro High School (Scottsdale, Ariz.) product who elected to stay home and has since become the only active FBS player with more than 1,500 career rushing and 1,500 career receiving yards.

"I feel blessed to be a part of this community and be a part of this team,"  Foster said. "This was one of the best decisions of my life coming here. Most definitely."

Bercovici was the backup quarterback who was more recognizable for his cheerleader girlfriend than he was by his accomplishments on the field.

That all changed when then-starter Taylor Kelly went down with a foot injury against Colorado and forced "Berco" into action. Three starts (and one particularly memorable late-game touchdown pass) later, he is the man in charge with a community behind him.

"I've never seen somebody like Mike Bercovici," Foster said. "He's played three games and seen a community come behind him like ours is right now. It's unbelievable. I've never seen anything like it."

Simone's college career began in Pullman, Wash. as a Washington State Cougar. Now, after transferring and earning a scholarship as a walk-on, he returns as the defense's second-leading tackler.

"He was a Washington (State) Cougar, and now he really is a Sun Devil in his heart," Foster said. "He's one of our team captains."

This senior class is the first full class to now see head coach Todd Graham for his fourth season, with those like Foster who have stayed for four years, grinders like Bercovici and transfers such as Simone mold the program in what it's called its best summer workout yet.

"We had an excellent summer," sports performance head coach Shawn Griswold said. "So many personal bests. It's amazing that these guys do what they do, because we ask so much of them.

"This is by far the fastest overall team speed we've had. They've done a hell of a job recruiting and giving me the guys to work with, and now we're giving them the best part we have for fall camp."

This are so smooth, Griswold said, that they "could run it all themselves."

Bercovici has assumed the leadership role, taking over in workouts and in the weight room as a vocal force.

This is a championship-caliber program, he said.

"This is not hard work, this is championship work, and there's a huge difference," Bercovici said. "This is where championships are made in June, July and August, and I feel like we have a step up on other programs in the country right now."

Additional Notes:

- Griswold said several Sun Devils had stellar summers.

D.J. Foster

"D.J. Foster's had a great summer," Griswold said. "He put another inch and a half on his vertical, which was 36 (inches) yesterday."

Foster added that he's lost 20 pounds since this time last summer, and is currently down to a playing weight of 190 pounds.

Eric Lauderdale

"He's a guy that we really wanted to see play last year and didn't have a great year," Griswold said. "He's had an unbelievable summer. An unbelievable summer."

Mike Bercovici

"That kid has been in the building every morning and he's in the film room teaching those young kids," Griswold said. "He's been out here every afternoon at 2:15 (p.m.) when I come around with my big guy group, walking Jalen Harvey, (De'Chavon Hayes) and Devin Lucien through all the plays."

- There were several notable personal-bests on the 225-pound bench press, including sophomore running back Demario Richard (19 reps), redshirt senior linebacker Antonio Longino (23), redshirt senior guard Vi Teofilo (40) and redshirt senior defensive lineman Mo Latu (47).

Sights and Sounds:

Here are some notable tweets from Friday's final summer workout:

Also, the breaking of the rock, in slo-motion:

Reach the reporter at fardaya@asu.edu or follow @fardaya15 on Twitter.

×