Tempe Police: Woman leaves two dogs to die in the heat while shopping for puppies

Police Beat Photo

Tempe Police Headquarters

Tempe Police reported the following incidents Monday:

A 37-year-old Tempe woman was arrested July 6 on the 1800 block of East Apache Boulevard on suspicion of animal cruelty, negligence and abandonment, according to a police report.

At approximately 11 a.m., the woman left her trailer home and tied her two adult Chihuahuas outside and left one additional Chihuahua inside, police reported.

The dog leashes got entangled, restricting the dogs’ movement and exposing them to sunlight without shade or water, according to the report.

The heat ultimately led to the demise of one dog while leaving the other one overheated and dehydrated in the sun, police reported.

Once contacted, the woman admitted that she knew high temperatures could kill animals without access to shade or water and that her dogs had a tendency to get tangled up in their leashes, according to the report.

When the woman was arrested, she had acquired two new puppies that were seized by authorities for their well-being, police reported.

The woman was booked into Tempe City Jail and held to see a judge, according to the report.

A 35-year-old Tempe woman was arrested July 5 on the 1800 block of East Baseline Road on suspicion of shoplifting and possessing drugs and paraphernalia, according to a police report.

Target employees witnessed the woman swap a new bicycle seat with her own used seat in an aisle, remove batteries from a display case and take multiple pieces of jewelry, sunglasses and other accessories, police reported.

The woman concealed the items in a Target bag that she obtained through a valid purchase at the electronics counter inside the store, according to the report.

After the woman passed all points of purchase, she attempted to evade the store’s Loss Prevention officers by entering a bathroom, police reported.

Officers approached her and she ran toward the front door, only to be detained by officials, according to the report.

During a routine search, officers located methamphetamine in her purse as well as a pipe with visible residue, police reported.

The woman was booked into Tempe City Jail and released on pending charges, according to the report.

Reach the reporter at aplante@asu.edu or follow her on Twitter @aimeenplante

×