ASU football backup quarterbacks Wilkins, Perkins uses 2014 as a learning experience

ASU's three backups go into the 2015 season not expecting to just hold a clipboard

Football media day 013 Manny Wilkins
Redshirt freshman quarterback Manny Wilkins participates in football media day on Saturday, Aug. 8, 2015, at the Carson Student-Athlete Center.

ASU football head coach told reporters Saturday that he enters this season worrying about something he never has before — the backup quarterback.

"I've not worried about the quarterback since I've been here," Graham said. "I'm worried about quarterback because we have one that I feel really, really good about. We got a lot of talent, right, that is young. We need to really develop that. It's been a good, you know, four or five days so far. I feel confident that they'll get there."

In each of his three previous seasons, the man behind starting quarterback Taylor Kelly was Mike Bercovici. Michael Eubank had experience under center as well, entering in spot duty.

Bercovici, however, is now the starting quarterback. He was forced into the position last season in a time of need after Kelly broke his foot during the third game of the season against Colorado.

The now-redshirt senior had experience entering the starting job.

Current backups Manny Wilkins, Brady White and Bryce Perkins have taken a combined zero snaps at the college level.

Wilkins, a redshirt freshman, is the lone veteran among the three and was allowed to back up Bercovici in Kelly's absence.

"I let it humble me," Wilkins said. "To realize that I haven't seen action on the field. At the same time it fuels me to really get my mind ready and get my body ready to go out there and lead this team."

After seeing then-backup Bercovici being forced to step in and doing so with success, Wilkins said regardless of backup status the team can be dependent on him.

"No matter who it is, (they) just need to prepare and be ready to be the starting quarterback of this football team," he said. "Obviously these young guys have come in here and done an excellent job of preparing themselves. I've been very impressed with Brady (White) and Bryce (Perkins)."

The last time he played in a football game, Perkins was leading Chandler High School (Chandler, Ariz.) to its first state championship since 1949. Now, he's just a college freshman.

"It's been a learning experience," Perkins said. "It's been fast, but (I'm) picking up the offense and the other guys are coaching me up, so I'm getting up there. I'll get up to speed."

Perkins said he has a lot to learn from veterans who have been around this system before.

"(Mike Bercovici) is obviously our starting quarterback for a reason," Perkins said. "Just watching him, what he does, what his feet look like, what his progressions look like. Just watching him will help you and help everybody else to better themselves for that starting job if they get a chance."

Additional Notes:

- "PT42" jerseys: redshirt senior safety Jordan Simone, redshirt senior cornerback Lloyd Carrington, redshirt sophomore safety James Johnson and redshirt senior linebacker Antonio Longino.

- "Flame" helmets: Simone, Carrington, Johnson, Longino, Bercovici, redshirt junior tight end Kody Kohl, senior wide receiver D.J. Foster, sophomore running back/linebacker Kalen Ballage, redshirt senior guard Christian Westerman, sophomore running back Demario Richard, sophomore defensive lineman Tashon Smallwood, sophomore defensive back DeAndre Scott, redshirt sophomore defensive lineman Corey Smith, senior cornerback Kweishi Brown, redshirt junior linebacker Salamo Fiso, senior center Nick Kelly and junior kicker Zane Gonzalez.

- Green no-contact jerseys: redshirt junior linebacker Laiu Moeakiola, redshirt junior wide receiver Fred Gammage, freshman tight end Jay Jay Wilson and junior wide receiver Cam Smith.

- The special teams walkthrough saw the installation of some trick plays.

- In Moeakiola's absence, both James Johnson and sophomore linebacker DJ Calhoun took reps at the first-team "Spur" linebacker position, with sophomore defensive back Armand Perry then seeing action with the first team at field safety.

- Kweishi Brown was solid in working with the first team at field corner Sunday, including nearly making a diving interception off of Bercovici's pass.

- Richard broke a huge run up the middle in the first set of 11-on-11 drills

- Perkins took a few snaps with the second team Sunday.

- Freshman offensive linemen Steven Miller and Zach Robertson each saw second-team action.

- Several wide receivers rotated in snaps, except for Foster. Redshirt senior Devin Lucien, redshirt junior Tim White, redshirt junior De'Chavon "Gump" Hayes, redshirt freshman Jalen Harvey and redshirt sophomore Ellis Jefferson each saw first-team reps during the day.

- Ballage went strictly defense on Sunday, but did take a couple snaps with the offense with him in the backfield and Richard in the slot.

Reach the reporter at fardaya@asu.edu or follow @fardaya15 on Twitter.

×