The first Pei Wei on a college campus opens up at the Memorial Union

The Memorial Union has always been a go-to spot for hungry students, but now it has something new to offer students.

On Tuesday, the first on-campus Pei Wei opened its doors to serve Sun Devils, faculty and parents alike. 

Pei Wei is a well-known Asian food joint, but ASU's location offers a specialized menu built around the needs and wants of ASU students. The restaurant in the MU will be the first Pei Wei with a "grab & go" counter, which features spicy mango chicken wraps, orange ginger edamame and Asian chopped chicken salad. 

Once an order has been placed, restaurant patrons receive a pager that provides an escape from the large crowds surrounding the counter.  

As always, there is that one person who has the honor of being the first customer.  This is true for Carlos Bravo, psychology development ASU staff member, who has never eaten Pei Wei before. 

"I was parading (around the MU)," Bravo said. "I thought I'd stop by Pei Wei and check it out."

Genaro Perez, Pei Wei vice president of global marketing, was part of the grand opening. Perez explained why ASU is the first university location and why food contractor Aramark helped in setting it all up. 

"We are local, we are based in Arizona," Perez said. "There was a good opportunity with Aramark with the space here so we thought it was the perfect first university. Hopefully the first of many."

Pei Wei replaced Papa John's, but Krystal Nelson, Aramark senior marketing manager, said the new restaurant will do good things for the MU.

"We survey students over the year about things, what they are looking for, and Asian (food) always came up," Nelson said. "We started looking at Pei Wei.  They are locally based out of Scottsdale. So we looked at what students said they wanted Asian, and looked at what was new and different, and that was it."

Nelson said she was excited that ASU was the first campus to have a Pei Wei.

"ASU is such a great university and it's always forward thinking," she said. "With the dining services, we try to be the same. Having Pei Wei here is just the next step at helping ASU evolve in all areas as a university."

About a half hour after the ribbon cutting, students slowly found themselves in line ordering from the varied yet simple menu.

Animal physiology and behavior senior Natalie Kieffer was one of these students. 

"The fried rice sticks out to me because generally it is hidden as a side," she said. "I would eat Pei Wei all day every day if I could." 

Latest Valley location of Fractured Prune Opens on College Avenue

Downtown Tempe's neck of the woods welcomes new resident...Sasquatch?

Reach the reporter at ryan.santistevan@asu.edu or follow @ryanerica18 on Twitter.

×