This semester's editorial board reacts to the first day of classes in GIFs

ASU students, as well as the editorial board, had mixed emotions this first day of classes

Palm Walk
Students walk on Palm Walk on the first day of classes on Thursday, Aug. 20, 2015, in Tempe.

The first day of class has mixed emotions — similar to an adolescent teen. First, you're excited to step on campus once more, or even for the first time, but as the day wears on your emotions go from fear as you get lost on the vast campus grounds, to disgust as you wipe the excessive amount of sweat off your brow. 

The emotions of the first day are as diverse as the students that walked campus today, and yet, we all dealt with the same struggles and rejoiced in similar moments. 

As for The State Press editorial board, we felt it all, from the heat, to the exciting yet exhausted feeling of it being your senior year... 

via GIPHY

Desiree Pharias, opinion editor: With the sun blazing down casting a 105-degree temperature across the valley, going to a class in Tempe from downtown is death. Going from downtown, to Tempe, then back to downtown and walking to Mercado is too much outside to deal with. Anyone else want to move to Iceland or something?

via GIPHY

Jacob Goldstein, arts editor: I entered into a now-too-familiar Cronkite lecture hall for my first and only class of the day sweating like a pig and breathing heavily, a great first impression on all the lovely faces staring at me probably thinking, "this dude has no chill." After realizing how much no one actually cares at all, I put my head down and acted like I was paying attention when I was really worried about paying rent this month. All in all, it's great to be back in school.

via GIPHY

Shelby Slade, editor in chief: It’s my last first day of school, and I’m already ready for it to be over. Let’s not go over the syllabus and let’s not talk about attendance policies. Let’s just call it a semester.

via GIPHY

Andrew Nicla, online editor: My first day was great! My Spanish professor didn't show up to class and my reporting class went by quickly. Also, it's another day closer to football season (Go Pack Go!).

via GIPHY

Stefan Modrich, sports editor: I'm thrilled to be back for another semester at State Press and ASU. Best of luck to the Class of 2019 and all returning students!

via GIPHY

Ian Beck, assistant sports editor: I spent my last first day of undergraduate life full-on adulting. I flew back from a mid-week wedding in Los Angeles, worked all day at a law firm and paid some bills online. All while taking exactly zero classes. Yay for senior year!

via GIPHY

Ben Moffat, photo editor: I kicked the year off the right way at Matt's Big Breakfast. It's been a long day, though, and it keeps getting longer. Syllabus day is a blast.

via GIPHY

Peter Northfelt, managing editor: My morning was great on this first day of my senior year. I had the pleasure of doing the first reporting on The State Press' Snapchat account. It was a little warm out, but I braved the heat to talk to complete strangers about their first day. I felt a bit like my GIF and almost as ridiculous, too. (P.S.: add us on Snapchat — @statepress)

Ben Margiott, executive editor: The intercampus shuttle driver was also not ready for the new school year this morning, which the entire bus of students realized when the supposedly Tempe-bound bus nearly turned onto I-10 westbound headed for the West campus. I'm certain it was the universe warning us of a perilous year ahead.

Kelcie Grega, news editor: Me trying to park on the downtown campus when my class starts in five minutes. 

×