Youth movement leading charge of ASU football skill players in 2015

A number of freshman could see solid playing time for ASU football this season.

CampTDay3-Lewis

Following the team scrimmage on Wednesday, ASU football head coach Todd Graham said he is not only pleased with where his team is at, but also with its freshmen who are looking to make an immediate impact this season. 

Perhaps the most impressive thus far has been JoJo Wicker, who Graham said is projected to be in the starting defensive line rotation this season, and running back Nick Ralston, who will be ASU's starting fullback.

"(A freshman starting) is rare, I guess not around here, but for me," he said. "He's just been phenomenal."

Graham also said freshman defensive back Kareem Orr will not redshirt this year, but will be involved in third-down packages this season. 

Last season, the Sun Devils received solid contributions from then-freshman running backs Demario Richard and Kalen Ballage, who are now the backfield's leaders. 

However, the next man in line could be Jason Lewis, a 6-foot-3, 235-pound freshman from Virginia Beach, Virgina. 

"(Jason) has really done some good things," Graham said. "We're still evaluating that one, still evaluating (Terrell) Chatman, and still evaluating the other freshmen." 

Those have not been the only surprises, though. Graham said redshirt freshman Connor Humphreys, listed as a defensive lineman, has been turning some heads at offensive guard. 

"I wish we would've (moved him) in the spring," Graham said. "He's got a chance to play for us this year. Really looks good. We started to do it in the spring and just didn't know what our depth would be, so I'm really pleased with that move."

ASU's defense, which returns nine of 11 starters, appears to be living up to expectations thus far. Graham said the group did not give up any big plays in Wednesday's scrimmage, which was closed to the media.

Graham said the Sun Devils are in a good spot just over two weeks away from their Sept. 5 opener against Texas A&M. 

"So much of that is just daily improvement and daily grind and we're exactly where we need to be," he said. "Obviously we've got a big challenge ahead of us starting out of the gate and starting conference play, but that's what we signed up for."

During the spring and summer, Graham praised this year's team as the best he has had since arriving in Tempe. 

Nothing has changed.

"This is the best football team we've had, it's the most mature football team we've had, it's the most selfless football team we've had, it's the most passionate football team (we've had)," Graham said. "They're competitive and combative on the football field and I like that." 

Notes: The following freshmen are being evaluated to determine whether or not they will attain redshirt status. 

– Bo Wallace (Defensive Lineman)

– Jason Lewis (Running Back)

– Jay Jay Wilson (Linebacker)

– Jalen Bates (Defensive End)

– Terrell Chatman (Wide Receiver)

– Steve Miller (Offensive Lineman)

– Zach Robertson (Offensive Lineman)

ASU football's special teams unit has plenty of room to grow

Experienced offensive line key to ASU football offensive success

Reach the reporter at Justin.Toscano@asu.edu or follow @justintoscano3 on Twitter

Like State Press Sports on Facebook or follow @statepresssport on Twitter

×