A World Away: From ASU to Madagascar

A World Away: From ASU to Madagascar

When most students come to college, they have no idea what they want to do with their lives. But a very select few already have a 10-year plan set before them. 

Alexandra Payan, a recent Arizona State University graduate, thought she knew her path before she got to college. Little did she know, the path she thought would lead her straight to law school actually sent her to the Peace Corps. 

Payan had a corporate path laid out in front of her after double majoring in business law and business management at the W.P. Carey School of Business. She took her LSATs and was accepted into several law schools prepared to further her education and become a corporate lawyer.

“Law school was the plan right after my undergrad and that still was the plan up until junior year when I started volunteering more,” Payan says.

In her junior year, Payan volunteered with Project C.U.R.E. (Commission on Urgent Relief and Equipment), a nonprofit organization that delivers medical supplies and equipment to developing countries. There she began doing volunteer work with refugees before becoming an employee her second semester of her senior year. Discovering her passion for helping others lead Payan to apply for the Peace Corps.

“More than anything I just want to learn about these different cultures,” Payan says. “I’m very passionate about this and that’s what I’m looking forward to, is helping others.”

Payan’s close friend, Audree Lopez, wasn’t surprised that joining the Peace Corps. was the next step for Payan.

“She is one of the most philanthropic and selfless people I have met during college and I really admire her for all of her hard work,” Lopez says. “I wasn't surprised when this was the next step after college.”

The application process to be considered to be accepted as a volunteer typically takes 9 to 12 months. Unlike years before, applications are all submitted online, and applicants can choose where they want to go and what they want to do. Peace Corps. volunteers are serving in countries around the world since its establishment in 1961.

“Since the process takes a while, we want to make sure students get engaged their junior year and apply right around their senior year,” Breanne Lott, Peace Corps. campus recruiter, says.

After their acceptance, volunteers will go through fingerprinting and medical screenings. When cleared, they will be given their departure date.

In February 2016, Payan will make the 10,718.5 mile trip to Madagascar for 27 months as a health volunteer. This can include a variety of work such as, maternal or childcare, basic hygiene and HIV/AIDs education. When she arrives in Africa, Payan will be trained for the first three months on her specific role in the project.

Lott, a former Sun Devil and Peace Corps. volunteer, is excited for Payan and her journey.

“One of the most impactful relationships is the relationships you’re going to develop in service,” Lott says. “I would tell her to just really work on those long-term trusting relationships in her community.”

When it comes to leaving home and her close-knit family and friends, Payan says she can get emotional thinking about it.

Payan plans to pursue her law degree when her service concludes. She says she is considering both human rights and international law.

“I’m kind of preparing myself but I don’t think you really can,” Payan says. “I’m trying to mentally prepare myself it’ll definitely be like that for the first three months, but I’m excited for the change.”

×