ASU football freshman Kareem Orr could be forced into first career start

Orr has impressed in his first two games, and now could see himself starting against New Mexico

The Sun Devil football team chants the ASU fight song after the game against Cal Poly Saturday, Sept. 12, 2015 at Sun Devil Stadium in Tempe. The Sun Devils defeated the Mustangs 35-21.

ASU football accomplished a first in the Todd Graham era by not starting a single true freshman in their season opener against Texas A&M. 

However, key defensive personnel have suffered injuries in the first two weeks, and the Sun Devils may be forced to tap into their younger players for Friday's matchup against New Mexico.

The Sun Devils lost starting field safety Armand Perry midway through their 35-21 win over Cal Poly Saturday, and don't expect to have him back this week as he is still currently in a walking boot and a green non-contact jersey.

Graham said Wednesday that he still does not know who will be starting in Perry's place.

"I'm thinking about coming out of retirement (and playing field safety)," Graham joked.

The decision, Graham said, will likely be between sophomore Chad Adams and true freshman Kareem Orr.

Adams came in and replaced Perry on Saturday after his injury, and has two total tackles through ASU's first two games. Orr has one total tackle this season, and has primarily played on special teams.

Orr has made some freshman mistakes, notably in the last game against Cal Poly in which he was responsible for two special teams penalties. On one, his penalty wiped away an ASU recovery on a muffed punt on a kick-catch interference, and on the other, he kept the Cal Poly drive alive with an illegal hands to the face penalty.

Despite the errors, sophomore linebacker Christian Sam said Orr should be prepared when his time comes. 

"Kareem is ready," Sam said. "Kareem is probably more ready for the spotlight than we were as freshmen. We've all talked to him about it. He's just so competitive. He's ready to play."

Sam himself played as a true freshman in 2014, picking up 16 total tackles and a sack in 13 games.

Friday's game against New Mexico is ASU's final non-conference tune-up before opening Pac-12 play against USC and UCLA on back-to-back weeks. Graham admitted that their first two prep games for conference play haven't been ASU's best, and has embraced the criticism.

"If they win, they love you and if you don't, they don't and they shouldn't," Graham said. "I don't think we react to anything like most people think we do. If you do, you're not a very good football team."

Practice Report:

– The media were only allowed to watch the team-stretch portion of practice outside Wednesday.

– Players wore their white "big pitchfork" helmets to practice Wednesday in anticipation of Friday night's "White Out" against New Mexico.

– Players in green non-contact jerseys: redshirt junior running back De'Chavon "Gump" Hayes, junior defensive tackle Ami Latu, redshirt junior wide receiver Fred Gammage, redshirt freshman wide receiver Jalen Harvey, junior wide receiver Cam Smith, freshman offensive lineman Dillon Faamatau and sophomore safety Armand Perry. Perry was in a walking boot and crutches.

– Graham said Wednesday that Hayes is questionable to play in Friday night's game against New Mexico.

ASU football's Mike Bercovici the latest Sun Devil quarterback to pooch punt

ASU football limps towards New Mexico

Reach the reporter at fardaya@asu.edu or follow @fardaya15 on Twitter.

×