ASU football getting healthy before conference play

The Sun Devils have key cogs coming back against USC

Senior wide receiver D.J. Foster enters the Pat Tillman Tunnel after defeating the New Mexico Lobos 34-10 on Friday, Sept. 18, 2015, at Sun Devil Stadium in Tempe.

Despite being just three weeks into its season, the ASU football team has had a myriad of ailments to deal with on both sides of the ball.

Hampered by illnesses and injuries, the Sun Devils have not been at full strength since the season started, putting them behind the eight ball.

With the Pac-12 schedule opening this week, ASU is hopeful that at least a few players who had been out can make it back on the field against USC this Saturday.

Sophomore running back Kalen Ballage, who was slated to be the number two back in addition to returning kicks, suited for practice Tuesday for the first time since before the season-opener in Houston. Ballage was sent home due to mononucleosis, but coach Todd Graham said he is fully back in action.

“He’s good to go, so he’ll play,” Graham said.

Junior defensive tackle Ami Latu and redshirt junior running back De’Chavon “Gump” Hayes both left the Cal Poly game early with injuries and Graham said both players will be in action against USC.

The only Sun Devil injury that is not expected back Saturday is sophomore safety Armand Perry, who sprained his ankle against Cal Poly, according to Graham.

Due to ASU playing its last game on Friday, coach Todd Graham said he was able to give players more time to rest, speeding up their recovery.

“We gave them two full days off,” Graham said. “We gave them Saturday and Sunday and Monday. Monday we met and the other two were completely off other than treatment and we didn’t practice in pads Monday, so they had three full days to rest, so that really helps.”

Graham also credited team trainer Jerry Garcia and his staff with helping players recover quicker and better.

“They do an unbelievable job of taking care of our guys,” Graham said.

Senior wide receiver DJ Foster, who was “pretty dinged up” last week, according to Graham, said getting players back is exciting and will help every phase of the game.

“That not only helps the offense and defense, but our special teams game as well,” Foster said. “A lot of those guys that haven’t been playing are on special teams, so that will help all phases of our football team. We’re definitely excited, I know our coaches are, to get the full group back.”

ASU football's Graham: Running back Kalen Ballage could return vs. USC

Sun Devil Stadium and tortillas: A brief history

Reach the reporter at mtonis@asu.edu or follow @Tonis_The_Tiger on Twitter.

×