ASU hockey names three captains for inaugural season

Jordan Young, Liam Norris, Garrett Peterson will don a "C" on their chests

Hockey Breaking News

ASU hockey senior defensemen Jordan Young and Liam Norris and forward Garrett Peterson, a graduate transfer from Notre Dame, were chosen as team captains for the 2015-16 season. 

The Sun Devils will have all three players wear a "C" patch on their jerseys, with no alternates. 

The team's Twitter account teased the announcement with an allusion to American writer Walt Whitman and his classic poem "O Captain! My Captain!".

“After much deliberation and evaluation we felt strongly that our most tenured players should wear letters,” head coach Greg Powers said in a statement. “Liam Norris has been here longer than any other coach and player besides myself and has helped build our program. Jordan Young is right behind Liam in tenure and has also helped build this program to where it is today."

Both Young and Norris served as captains for the ACHA program, and Peterson was a captain for his Triple-A team and junior hockey teams before playing in college. 

Norris is the longest-tenured Sun Devil, whom Powers praised in his press conference Monday.

I’ve been here with guys like (ACHA stars) Kale (Dolinski) and Danny (McAuliffe) and Colin Hekle and those guys who were wearing the letters and I didn't have one,” Norris said. “But I learned a lot from them and stepped into the leadership role when they were here, even without a letter. It’s seeing guys like that be leaders and just following in their footsteps.”

Reach the sports editor at smodrich@asu.edu or follow @StefanJModrich on Twitter.

Like State Press Sports on Facebook and follow @statepressport on Twitter.

×