Instant recap: ASU 34, New Mexico 10

ASU found a rhythm on both sides of the ball to put the game away against the Lobos

Final Instant Good
Redshirt senior quarterback Mike Bercovici rushes for a touchdown on Friday, Sept. 18, 2015, at Sun Devil Stadium in Tempe.

After starting slow in the first half, ASU didn't disappoint in the second half en route to a 34-10 rout of New Mexico.

Freshman receiver Tim White, who had scored the game's only touchdown in the second quarter, returned the opening kick 34 yards which ignited a five-play scoring drive.

Sophomore running back Demario Richard caught a ball in the flat and had the downfield blocking and speed to race 33 yards down the sideline for a touchdown.

On the following drive, ASU lost its shutout when Lobo running back Tyrone Owens broke free for a 65-yard touchdown scamper. Owens found a gaping hole at the line of scrimmage and sprinted untouched down the center of the field to put New Mexico's first points of the game on the board.

Gaining and seizing momentum has been a problem for the Sun Devils all season but after trading punts with the Lobos, they went into an up-tempo, no-huddle attack and marched down the field on eight quick plays.

Redshirt senior quarterback Mike Bercovici went 5-of-5 on the drive but kept it on the ground for the score, scampering eight yards for a touchdown to put ASU up 24-7 with five minutes remaining in the third quarter.

Just as ASU seemingly seized control of the game, special teams errors that have haunted the Sun Devils for nearly two seasons reared their ugly head.

White fumbled a punt which was recovered by the Lobos to put them inside the ASU red zone for just the second time in the game. 

The defense responded, holding the Lobos to nine yards and forcing a field goal despite New Mexico's prime starting field position.

Sophomore running back Demario Richard put the game away in the beginning of the fourth quarter by breaking free for ASU's longest play from scrimmage this season. 

Richard picked up some key blocks and broke free down the sideline for a 93-yard touchdown catch and run that put ASU up 31-10. The catch is tied for the second longest in school history.

That catch and three others gave Richard 151 receiving yards on the night, a school record for a running back.

Second-half Notes

• Devin Lucien exited the game in the first half with a leg injury and did not return.
  • Bercovici's rushing touchdown in the third quarter was his second of the season. Entering the season he hadn't scored on the ground in his ASU career.
  • ASU's offensive line gave up nine sacks in the season-opener against Texas A&M. It has allowed just two in the two games since.

Reach the assistant sports editor at icbeck@asu.edu or follow him on Twitter @ICBeck21.

×