On or off scholarship, students across the four ASU campuses participate in athletics, whether it is intramural, club or NCAA. However, not all student athletes get the same recognition and funding from the University or outside donors.

Sun Devil Athletics grants over $12 million in scholarships, however, student athletes that are involved in club sport programs participate despite being on scholarship or the chance to be on scholarship, according to the Sun Devil Club website.

There are currently 39 different club sports teams that play across the four campuses and travel around the country, and as of last year there were 941 members involved, Sun Devil Sports president Lauren McDonald wrote in an email. 

Sun Devil Sports receives $110,000 for club sports from USG, McDonald wrote. Those funds then have to be disbursed among the 39 teams.

In addition to the funding from USG, members pay dues at the beginning of each semester to cover the cost of uniforms, tournaments, and some travel.

“Clubs have dues ranging from $50 per member to $5000+ per member,” McDonald wrote.

Some clubs even have a tryout fee that players have to pay even before knowing if they made the team or not, journalism sophomore Louisa Stanwich said. All the different fees can cause students not to join a team even though they want to.

Stanwich said she has always had an interest in sports and decided to join ASU’s rowing team this season but was unable to because of the high cost.

“The club cost $600 per semester to be in and I didn't feel it would be worth the expense for me at this time since I wouldn't be able to enjoy it to its full extent,” Stanwich said.

Being involved in a club sport is a big time commitment, like being a part of a Division 1 team, which tends to make it harder for students to commit.

Journalism sophomore Graysen Choy is a member of the women's club soccer team and can attest to the lengthy weekly commitment necessary to compete.

“We have twice a week (practice) plus a fitness practice so three times a week," Choy said. "And every weekend (that) we don’t have games we go to the gym together."

Money and time can limit the number of students that try out or express interest in a club sport team but for others the love of the game is a good enough reason to join.

“It’s a great way to get involved with the school," Choy said. "I was supposed to go to a school to play soccer, so I think it's really nice that I have this option so I can focus on academics and still be able to play a sport I love."

SDS encourages students to participate if they are interested and hopes to gain more members.

“We're adding six new clubs this year so hopefully that will mean more members,” McDonald wrote.

Sun Devil club sports seek more recognition from University

Behind the scenes of ASU club sports

Reach the reporter at aramanju@asu.edu or follow @aram_unfiltered on Twitter.

×