For highest-earning UFC fighter Ronda Rousey, domination only the beginning

MCT
A standing room only crowd cheers on U.S. service members and civilian combatants at Friday Night Fights, a mixed martial arts tournament organized by the 4th Brigade, 1st Armored Division at a large military base near Nasiriyah, Iraq.

Ronda Rousey. She is a badass. She is charming, funny and wise. She is the Van Gogh of painting history with her opponent’s blood. Not only is Rousey creating space for women in a male-dominated scene, but she is also doing it in the last place expected of women — the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC).

But really, do we need to be very surprised that a Rousey exists? Let’s not fool ourselves. Rousey isn’t proving that women are actually capable of being record-breaking MMA fighters. Rousey is more so proving something reiterated time and time again throughout history — that women can overcome a system of oppression constructed and nurtured by a male fear of losing power.

It isn’t as though women who are as tough, strong and athletic as Rousey are haven’t existed throughout history. Rather, it is a matter of timing. It’s true. Women sort of got a late start in the world of career success, and it wasn’t because they slept through their alarm clocks. In fact, a century hasn't even passed since (white) women were given right to the vote in this country.

Now, people act impressed that we can actually do anything a male can. Hello, it didn’t take us this long because we were developing. “Wow, a successful woman… she must be an anomaly.” “Wow, a woman can actually do that?” Uh, yes… Thanks for finally letting us try.

To all you who are surprised by Rousey, I say, “Get used to it." Even though the shift in power is a slow one, as with any change from an age-old system of inequity, it is coming. Women have been fighting an uphill battle and are finally approaching the backside of the curve characterized by downward acceleration. 

Women make up 62 percent of first-time freshmen graduates compared to the 38 percent of males. Maybe it would be more accurate to start calling them first-time freshwomen graduates, since they are mostly females.

Watch out. I predict women will achieve equal representation in every area imaginable. Like I said, it isn’t a matter of being a female, it is only a matter of time. And to cisgender males, if you cling to your power trips you will end up on the wrong side of history, but if you stand beside us, we may create a much more peaceful and equitable world. We might even allow you to lick the spoon of our sweet batter of redemption.

Rousey's biggest feat wasn’t growing a powerful finesse. Rousey's biggest feat was convincing Dana White to give women a chance to compete inside the Octagon of WWE fame after years of announcing he never would. Looks like on top of all her qualities and talents, we can add curing sexism, which is indeed true in other cases, too. Rousey is also considered a body image role-model, stating, “It's just stupid the way women, especially in this country, are conditioned to hate how they look so they buy shit."

Couldn’t agree more, Ronda.

No longer are we allowed to be surprised by female success stories and simultaneously consider ourselves intelligent. Females are born to be successful, but as Rousey puts it, women “have to work twice as hard as men to earn half as much respect.” And truly, the change of power structure would be greatly aided by a change of language toward the matter. Instead of saying, “Wow, how extraordinary,” we should be saying, “Finally, it is about time." 

Not to mention, media should be giving women the freedom to believe in their abilities without being called arrogant. Rousey claims, “Some people call me cocky or arrogant but I just think how dare you assume I should think less of myself.” 

On top of that, let’s add a new definition to lady-like: a woman who beats another women unconscious in a cage in front of an audience of millions. As Rousey pronounced, “They said I fight like a girl. Good.” 

Students say ASU application leads to gender discrimination

Women: the minority

Reach the columnist at ralydfor@asu.edu or follow @ralydford on Twitter.

×