Todd Graham critical of ASU football's special teams at weekly press conference

The Sun Devil coach hopes to improve special teams before Saturday

Junior kicker Zane Gonzalez kicks an extra point during the last day of Camp Tontozona on Saturday, Aug. 15, 2015, in Payson, Arizona.

Following the ASU football team's crushing 21-point loss to Texas A&M Saturday, coach Todd Graham was critical of his team's performance in all facets of the game.

During Graham's weekly Monday press conference, however, he was able to better decipher and articulate what exactly hurt the Sun Devils: special teams.

In 2014, the Sun Devils special teams unit left much to be desired from the coaching staff in all phases of the game, prompting them to bring in former Green Bay Packers coach Shawn Slocum to take over.

Throughout the preseason, Graham spoke highly about how well the special teams progressed from last season, setting up high expectations for 2015. After a poor showing, Graham spoke frankly about how he thought the unit played.

"If you asked my opinion, that is as poorly as we've played on special teams and that's unacceptable," Graham said. "A lot of that is guys just missed assignments and things like that, and there are some more – probably what we're doing is a little bit more complex than what we've done in the past, and it's about us teaching it."

Despite putting in "double the time on special teams than we've spent in the past," the specialists may be the biggest concern coming out of game one.

Junior punter Matt Haack punted 10 times and averaged 42 yards per kick, but the stats don't tell the entire story of the unit. Graham said the punt coverage team was one of the poorer sections, especially on Texas A&M freshman wide receiver Christian Kirk's touchdown.

"I think the main difference in the game, I thought the punt return for a touchdown," Graham said. "Our bullet, he's supposed to go to the left, he goes to the right... There was no one over here except the punter. Our deep snapper almost made the tackle."

That return gave the Aggies a 14-0 lead, giving them more momentum and getting their fans, which occupied about 80 percent of the stadium, even more into the game than they already were.

Another of Graham's biggest concerns from the special teams in the punt return unit, which hit Texas A&M punter Drew Kaser twice in the game. While neither led to Aggie points, it underscored an uncharacteristic lack of discipline for the entire team.

Graham took responsibility for the penalties, saying it was a lack of proper coaching and telling players what exactly their roles are on the unit.

"Like you've got a guy roughing the punter and he's not supposed to be rushing the punter, and he's giving extraordinary effort," Graham said. "But that's, you know, you've got young guys and that's coaching. That's not the players' fault. That's our fault."

In spite of the unit's performance and Graham's comments, he said he still feels good about the unit based on what he saw in fall camp and what he's seen from Slocum.

"I can tell you this, I have a lot of confidence in where we're at," Graham said. "I tell you one thing, he's doing a hell of a job working them and teaching them and coaching them."

Report Card: Breaking down ASU football's 38-17 loss to Texas A&M

Instant recap: Texas A&M 38, No. 15 ASU 17

Reach the reporter at mtonis@asu.edu or follow @Tonis_The_Tiger on Twitter.

Like State Press Sports on Facebook and follow @statepresssport on Twitter.

×