Instant recap: ASU 48, Colorado 23

The Sun Devils stomped the Buffaloes in Tempe

Redshirt junior wide receiver Tim White (12) breaks a tackle after catching a pass in the first quarter against Colorado on Saturday, Oct. 10, 2015, at Sun Devil Stadium in Tempe.

In a first half where Kody Kohl and Tim White were the offensive stars, the second half saw a resurgence of the old guard – senior wide receiver D.J. Foster. 

Fresh off setting the school record for consecutive games with a completion, the Scottsdale native moved within two games of the Pac-12 record, hauling in a pass in 46 straight games. 

He also rushed for 80 yards on five carries and had three catches for 21 yards. 

However, it was White who exploded for a 45-yard touchdown on a pass tipped by a Colorado defensive back that the redshirt junior wide receiver then took to the house.

Devin Lucien, after a triumphant return to the Rose Bowl in which ASU defeated UCLA 38-23, caught his first touchdown as a Sun Devil with 7:28 to go in the third quarter, a 10-yard pass from Bercovici. 

Quarterback Mike Bercovici went 20 for 31, racking up 260 passing yards and five touchdowns, tying a career-high. He also rushed for 40 yards on seven carries. 

The Sun Devil defense bent several times, and allowed Colorado quarterback Sefo Liufau to toss a 68-yard touchdown to Devin Ross, who streaked to the end zone uncontested thanks to a busted coverage in the ASU secondary. 

Despite giving up 401 passing yards, the Sun Devils contained the dynamic trio of Ross, Nelson Spruce, and Shay Fields, and allowed only one touchdown between the three. 

With about six minutes to go in the fourth quarter, redshirt freshman quarterback Manny Wilkins was substituted for Bercovici. 

Wilkins scrambled for 10 yards on two carries and did not attempt a pass. 

Foster put an exclamation on the victory on a 12-yard pass from Bercovici to cap a five play, 84-yard drive that spanned 2:47 of game time. 

Reach the sports editor at smodrich@asu.edu or follow @StefanJModrich on Twitter.

Like State Press Sports on Facebook and follow @statepressport on Twitter.

×