ASU football linebacker Antonio Longino has career night versus Colorado – again

The senior linebacker Antonio Longino bullied the Buffaloes on offense all night

Redshirt senior linebacker Antonio Longino (32) pursues Buffaloes' quarter back in the third quarter against Colorado on Saturday, Oct. 10, 2015, at Sun Devil Stadium in Tempe. The Sun Devils defeated the Buffaloes 48-23.

Thoughts of déjà vu might have materialized for redshirt senior Antonio Longino as he stood opposite the Colorado Buffaloes offense in Sun Devil Stadium Saturday evening. 

After a career performance for Longino against Colorado in 2014 highlighted his defensive play that season — he had 10 tackles including one sack in his first career start for ASU — the senior linebacker finished at the top of the statistics in both tackles and sacks versus the Buffaloes yet again.

Solidifying his role in the ever-important Devilbacker position, Longino made his presence known by bursting into the backfield on several occasions, chasing down junior quarterback Sefo Liufao for two individual sacks and another that he split with redshirt senior defensive lineman Demetrius Cherry. 

Longino managed eight total tackles, more than any other player on either team, seven of the tackles being of the solo variety. At the hands of Longino, the sputtering Buffaloes offense lost 15 yards after 4.5 tackles-for-loss.

While the senior linebacker was prominent throughout the whole game, no play was more impactful than a third quarter take-down and forced fumble that gave ASU the ball in enemy territory. Following a momentous touchdown reception by redshirt junior wide receiver Tim White that included notable theatrics, the Sun Devils had stretched their lead to 21 points and were going for the jugular of the Buffaloes. 

Longino had thwarted a first down run attempt by sophomore tailback Phillip Lindsay, limiting the back to only one yard on the ground. The Buffaloes would quickly face third down and medium where Liufao was forced to pass. 

Longino broke through the offensive line and hit Liufao clean, sacking him eight yards behind the scrimmage line and forcing the ball out; junior defensive lineman Viliami Latu pounced on it at the 35-yard-line of the Buffaloes, setting up for a 5-play, 35-yard touchdown drive that put the game out of reach in the favor of ASU.

ASU head coach Todd Graham said after the game that Longino played "phenomenal" and contributed to the 12 tackles-for-loss by the Sun Devil defense during the game.

"I think that (Longino) is coming off the edge most of the time, I think it's something he does pretty well," Graham said. "I thought tonight was the best game of his career since he has been here. ... Anytime you can have that kind of production, then he is in the right spot."

Longino's presence will be a must for the Sun Devils if they hope to pressure Utah quarterback Travis Wilson in a Pac-12 match-up on Saturday, Oct. 17 in Salt Lake City.

Reach the reporter at csafran@asu.edu and follow @ChrisSafran on Twitter.

Like State Press Sports on Facebook and follow @statepresssport on Twitter.

×