ASU soccer drops seventh straight to USC

The Sun Devils fell 2-1 to the Trojans in Los Angeles

ASU Vs. UNLV Goodman
Senior midefielder Tommi Goodman fights for possession of the ball in the first half against University of Nevada-Las Vegas Friday Aug. 28, 2015 at Sun Devil Soccer Stadium in Tempe. The Sun Devils defeated the Rebels 6-0.

ASU soccer dropped seventh straight game and fourth straight in conference play, falling 2-1 to USC in Los Angeles Friday night. 

The team struggled to get a rhythm offensively, taking only four shots to USC's 11, and both teams played a very physical game as both teams got seven fouls combined.

The Sun Devils scored for the first time since they faced Washington State in September as senior defender McKenzie Berryhill fed a pass to her counterpart Sara Tosti who buried a ball 15 yards out, moving from left to right for her second goal this season.  

Three minutes into the second half, USC  junior Mandy Freeman connected with senior Tamara Mejia who found the right corner of the net to tie the game up from eight yards out. 

For the next 18 minutes, both teams played to a stalemate, as each keeper denied efforts in front of the net and stymied the aggressive attacks of both sides. 

At the 65 minute mark, Berryhill lost her footing on the ball right in front of the ASU net, and freshman Hailey Hite stole the ball and beat goalkeeper Chandler Morris point blank at the far post. 

The Sun Devils resorted to playing desperate and aggressive soccer, taking risks and racking up fouls, to no avail.

But the Trojans shut down ASU at every opportunity, only allowing eight shots in two halves.

ASU travels across town to conclude its road trip with a matinee game against UCLA Sunday at 1 p.m. 

Reach the reporter at osoussi@asu.edu or follow @omarksoussi on Twitter.

×