No. 10 ASU women's volleyball shows improvement in loss to No. 1 USC

ASU played its best match of the season since two of its outside hitters went down with injuries.

ASU V Stanford
Outside hitter for Arizona State University’s women’s volleyball team, Cassidy Pickrell (22), dives for the ball in a match against Stanford University on Friday, Oct. 2, 2015, in the Wells Fargo Arena in Tempe.

Despite falling 3-1 to No. 1 USC (15-25, 21-25, 25-23, 23-25), No. 10 ASU women’s volleyball played its best match since losing senior outside hitter Macey Gardner and junior outside hitter Kizzy Ricedorff to injuries.

ASU improved in each of the first three sets before playing well but losing the fourth.

USC’s success came from how quick its attacks were. Freshman setter Baylee Johnson’s passes were direct; she didn’t hit long rainbows, particularly to her middles.

The hitters were able to begin their attacks before ASU’s defense could rotate over and get in their way.

Senior outside hitter Samantha Bricio had a powerful and accurate hit, thriving in the middle of the back row. She had 24 kills and hit .321 in the match.

As much as the Sun Devils missed Gardner’s offensive production, they missed her defense just as much.

ASU won the majority of rallies in which they got multiple digs. In the first set, those were few and far between.

It started with the serving of senior outside hitter Samantha Bricio. The hard-hitting player had a bit of a curve to her serve. She had two aces in her first rotation, pushing USC to a 6-3 lead.

While ASU couldn’t create long rallies, it couldn’t get attacks going either. The Sun Devils hit -.065 in the first set; the only person with a positive attack percentage was senior middle blocker Whitney Follette (.429).

The second set was closer due to longer rallies, leading to better hitting percentages. Pickrell had consecutive kills, tying the set at eight, and the teams traded points through 11.

USC took a 12-11 lead and Bricio stepped behind the line to serve. When she was finished, USC had increased its lead to 15-12.

ASU kept the score close, but USC used its speedy attacks to stay ahead. With a 21-18 lead, the ball was headed to Johnson.

Senior middle blocker Alicia Ogoms began her jump before Johnson even touched the ball. Ogoms got an easy kill and USC won the set 25-21.

ASU’s improvement in the first three sets had a direct correlation to Pickrell’s play. In set one, she had no kills and two errors on five attempts. In the second, she had four kills and no errors on five attempts.

In the third set, she had five kills on nine attempts.

Follette, spending time on the right side, had five kills in the set. ASU was able to gain a set on USC.

The Trojans went on a tear in the fourth set, beginning on a 7-1 run. ASU fought back, winning 10 of the next 15 points, but USC went on a 4-0 run to increase the lead to 16-11.

ASU wouldn’t go away, keeping it close at 20-17, but USC went on a 4-0 run to send it to match point.

ASU won the next point. With freshman outside hitter Lexi MacLean at the service line, the Sun Devils won five match points. Her final serve was a strong one, with a receive attempt sailing at the net. A joust between the teams ended in a USC kill and victory.

Head coach Jason Watson was unavailable for comment.

Reach the reporter at logan.newman@asu.edu or follow @Logan_Newsman on Twitter.

×