ASU cross country records strong showing at South Bend Invitational

Freshman Samantha Ortega led the way for the Sun Devil women.

The ASU cross-country team completed the Notre Dame Invitational Friday in South Bend, Indiana, with the women taking seventh place overall and the men taking 19th overall.

The ASU women recorded a score of 213 for their seventh-place finish at Notre Dame.

Freshman Samantha Ortega led the way for the women, crossing the finish line in 22nd overall with a time of 17:05.7.

Ortega was quickly followed by senior Adriana Olivas and redshirt senior Jen Owen, respectively placing 37th and 38 overall. Olivas clocked in at 17:17.5, while Owen finished a half-second behind at 17:08.0.

Senior Cristina Juan Torres was the next Sun Devil to cross the finish line and notched a time of 17:22.3 for 45th.

Redshirt sophomore Chelsey Totten finished 73rd overall, coming in at 17:40.4. Junior Jenna Mack was close behind Totten, placing 76th with a time of 17:42.2.

The ASU men finished with a score of 473, besting only Iowa by eight points.

Redshirt senior Ryan Norton was the first Sun Devil runner to cross the finish line in 68th place overall at 24:50.0.

Redshirt junior CJ Albertson was the second Sun Devil to clock in at 25:03.2, followed closely by redshirt senior Jeff Brickert with a time of 25:06.9 and redshirt senior Ryan Herson at 25:10.5.

The team’s next meet is Friday, Oct. 9 when the team heads down south for the University of Arizona XC Twilight at Quincie Douglas Park in Tucson. The men’s 4-mile race is scheduled to begin at 3:50 p.m. followed by the women’s 3-mile race slated for 4:20 p.m.

Reach the reporter at michael.baron@asu.edu or follow @Michael_Baron96 on Twitter.

×