First half recap: ASU 24, Colorado 10

The Sun Devils lead the Buffaloes at halftime in Tempe

Redshirt freshman defensive back Dasmond Tautalatasi (30) reacts after scoring a touchdown on a blocked punt in the first quarter against Colorado on Saturday, Oct. 10, 2015, at Sun Devil Stadium in Tempe.

ASU football emphasized this week in practice leading up to tonight's game against Colorado that the Sun Devils couldn't afford to prepare for the Buffaloes any differently, despite the fact that ASU is 6-0 against its neighbor to the northeast. 

A Demario Richard fumble with 11:02 in the first quarter turned into a 28-yard rushing touchdown for Kody Kohl, the first of the redshirt junior tight end's career. 

Kohl got another target to cap a five play, 15-yard drive following a Kareem Orr interception of Colorado junior quarterback Sefo Liufau that set up the Sun Devils for a four-yard touchdown. 

The Buffaloes got on the board after a pair of explosive plays – a 42-yard completion from Liufau to junior tight end Sean Irwin to draw within one score. 

But ASU relied on key plays from its special teams unit, including a blocked punt by Desmond Tautalatasi that set up a Zane Gonzalez field goal. 

Redshirt junior Tim White shined for ASU in the first half, hauling in two catches for 38 yards, one for a touchdown, and five catches for a total of 95 yards. 

The Buffaloes tacked on a field goal with five seconds left in the half off the boot of Diego Gonzalez to pull within 24-10. 

The Sun Devils have the option to receive the second half kickoff. 

Reach the sports editor at smodrich@asu.edu or follow @StefanJModrich on Twitter.

Like State Press Sports on Facebook and follow @statepressport on Twitter.

×