Advertising is an essential piece of worldwide business success, but in an attempt to reach the broadest audiences, companies like Nike have lost the way.

In a quick Facebook poll (only available to ASU students), I learned that 53 percent of students consider the Nike Free to be the most popular Nike shoe, closely followed by a 41 percent vote for the Nike Roshe One; in dead last was the Nike Lunar with absolutely no votes — and that is a huge issue. 

Here’s the truth: Nike is an infamous athletic company by design, and it’s no longer taking care of athletes.

Sure — everyone knows the shoe company's products are overpriced, but the overwhelming comfort and style make handing over your debit card just a touch more tolerable. However, I will no longer be checking out with orange boxes labeled “Free” or “Roshe One” with intent to run as perfectly as the advertisements suggest.

As an athlete all my life, I am, and have always been, an avid Nike-fan. I myself own six pairs of Frees and two pairs of Roshes, and until recently, I ran miles in them. As the tightness in my calves turned to pain in my joints I began to consider the dreadful rumor that “you simply cannot run in Nike’s shoes anymore.”

After years of being such a loyal costumer, I found myself stuck in corner. I had spent nearly $800 on sneakers I could not even exercise in safety.

As it turns out, Nike never intended for these two models to be used as running shoes at all. Sure, this confusion was partially my fault, as I am guilty of acting as a some-what mindless consumer. However, these two models have the greatest color schemes, sleekest appearance and are most commonly promoted. Nike knows the world trusts it as an athletic producer, and merely opted out of maintaining their promotional integrity.

Upon the shoe's release, Roshe Ones were actually named “Roshe Runs” until of course, the Nike website was plagued with reviews of complete break down of the shoe after running in them for as little as a month. To no surprise, the original “Free Run” also lost its suffix after proving to be a less-than-sufficient running accessory, becoming the “Nike Free.”

A quick look at the official Nike website irritates me, because this empire has manipulated its consumers into believing they actually want to increase their customer’s fitness lives. The Nike Free falls under the category named “Run Natural: Light, flexible and dynamic, to unlock your natural side.” Yeah, a “barefoot ride” sounds great on paper, but there is a reason why humans wear shoes: We need them.

Unfortunately, most of our “natural strides” do include wobbly knees and rolled ankles, and we need actual support. Especially the folks Nike is reaching with the new "everyone is an athlete" campaign strategy, because a 350 pound American’s "bare" lower body can barely support them while they walk, let alone run.

On the bright side, the Nike Lunar, my poll’s least popular shoe, is actually a supportive running shoe. The company calls it the “Run Easy” shoe, intended to be “comfortable, luxurious and soft, to keep you going strong.” So why is this so unheard of? Why is this shoe, the one most of us should be using in our aerobic exercise, practically unrecognizable?

Here is my answer to that question: Nike decided that making money is more important than supporting its consumers; the company has fallen victim to capitalism’s greedy battle.

While I cannot entirely eliminate the brand from my life (for primarily financial reasons), I will not be making the mistake of running in either model ever again. 

Sorry, Nike, I like my ankles.

Twitter reacts to ASU's switch from Nike to Adidas

Which ASU football uniform combination are you?

Reach the columnist at kendra.penningroth@asu.edu or follow @KPenningroth on Twitter.

×