ASU loses 4-1 to Clarkson, is swept in weekend series

The Sun Devils had won four of their past six heading into the series.

Brock Krygier slapshot

Defenseman Brock Krygier winds up for a slap shot for the Sun Devils in their Saturday game versus Southern New Hampshire University.

ASU hockey traveled to New York and came into its weekend series against Clarkson fresh off a sweep of Lake Superior State and boasting a 4-2 record in its last six games. 

On the other hand, the Golden Knights (7-4-2) were winless in their last five contests before the weekend. 

The two recent trends clashed in the weekend series between the two.

And with both squads vying for momentum in their respective situations, ASU dropped Saturday's game 4-1 and was swept in a weekend series for the second time (not including the Connecticut road trip where it lost to three different teams).

After missing significant time due to injury, junior goaltender Robert Levin started his first game for the Sun Devils since Oct. 16 against UConn. In his third appearance of the year, he saved 25 shots. 

After holding Clarkson scoreless in the first period, Levin faced 14 shots and allowed two goals in the second. The Golden Knights followed that up with two goals in the third, which put the game out of reach. 

Ryan Ostertag scored the Sun Devils' only goal of the game in the third period. 

Power play opportunities were few in the game as ASU only had one and Clarkson had just two, with neither team converting a chance. 

In the other net, Steve Perry saved 16 ASU shots. 

Saturday was the fourth time ASU has allowed four or more goals in a game. It was also the sixth time the Sun Devils have been held to one or fewer goals in a game, with two of those being shutout losses.

ASU returns home for a two-game exhibition series against the University of Alberta on Dec. 4 and 5. The puck will drop at 7:30 p.m. Arizona time for each game. 

Reach the reporter at Justin.Toscano@asu.edu or follow @justintoscano3 on Twitter

Like State Press Sports on Facebook or follow @statepresssport on Twitter

×