ASU announces plans to renovate Hayden Library after 49 years

Tempe's main library will undergo extensive renovations

Hayden Library

Students exit Hayden Library on the Tempe campus on Sunday, Oct. 25, 2015.

ASU has announced plans to renovate its library system, specifically Hayden Library, in efforts to reflect a constant surge toward innovation. 

The renovations, which are still in the preliminary stages, will include an increase in the accessibility of books for students as well as an update for the building itself. 

Built in 1966, Hayden Library serves more than 10,000 students each day. However, as the building approaches its 50 year mark, administration noticed the main library’s desperate need for innovation, leading to a renovation announcement set for 2017.

While renovation plans filled former ASU University Librarian Sherrie Schmidt’s office years ago, ASU librarian James O’Donnell, who officially took over the position this past February, said not one of the plans met his expectations. 

Upon Schmidt’s retirement, O’Donnell said ASU searched for someone to head this renovation, and has used his past experience to jumpstart blueprints for the future renovation.

“This is a big, signature building — absolutely part of the campus,” O’Donnell said. “We need to open it up and make it into a showcase for the whole University and make it someplace special. It is also the case that we’ve realized just how far out of step it is with what our needs and uses are. Not just for right now, but looking forward to the next 10 or 20 years.”

One of the first goals is the renovation of the building itself. Currently, the Hayden Library is within walking distance from the Memorial Union, but stands alone. Also near the two landmarks on campus is the Tempe campus' writing center, which will be torn down and replaced with a new student activities building. 

In an attempt to connect the three Orange Mall buildings and create a keystone for the whole campus, the University plans to build a new door that connects the MU to the library.

The main difference students will notice is the disappearance of books within the building. Instead, Polytechnic campus will offer high-density shelving to store some books from all ASU campuses, leading students to simply order a book delivery to their closest library.

“They’ll show up just as quickly as they will from Amazon,” O’Donnell said. “That will give us more room for student space, for faculty research space. We’re particularly going to emphasize special collections: the unique stuff that we have that nobody else does.”

In addition to accessibility of books, Hayden Library will hopefully feature a research facility, or a big data analytics center. The vision includes high-tech mapping, video displays and over-sized printers.

“We’re not going to build the kind of lab you would in bio design,” O’Donnell said. “Big data is interesting because you bring together business data, census data, historical newspapers and photography. You learn stuff you couldn’t otherwise.”

With thousands of students entering each day, O’Donnell said a temporary space is necessary while these renovations take place.

“We were lucky — and I say this carefully — that we had that flood we did in Noble last winter because that gave us the chance to spend a few dollars fixing that building up and making sure it’s in great condition,” O’Donnell said.

While not yet set in stone, plans include renovating the tower of Hayden all at once, while leaving the two underground levels and Noble Library open for students to access.

O’Donnell said the dates of renovation are still up in the air as the team brainstorms a way to fund this daunting, yet necessary, project.

“Until we sort out where the money is coming from, we can’t start doing stuff,” O’Donnell said. “So, the most senior money people in the university are working on that and I’m confident they can solve the problem, but it’s a big one. This one is tens of millions of dollars.”

Once the University is able to set money aside, O’Donnell said the most aggressive schedule closes the tower as early as 2017. He has optimistically planned the debut for 18 months later.

“One reason to close the whole tower is that you can actually work faster, and it’s cheaper to do,” O’Donnell said. “I call it the 'pull the band-aid off quickly’ method. Rather than trying to do one floor at a time. That would take you five years and be just miserable and wind up costing a lot more money.”

With these renovations are in the works, Dean of Humanities in the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences, George Justice, claims that the priority of the library is the students as the transition in acquiring information drives them to manage today’s expectations.

“The renovation of the library is not just the renovation of Hayden,” Justice said. "It’s the renovation of the library system. We are still wedded to a model where we have huge stacks of books. The actual number of books or volumes that are required in a library has changed greatly with online databases and information resources.”

As online sources continue to change our way of research and study, Chair of Senate Library Teresa Foulger said she supports the actions of the administration and agrees it will pay off in the long run.

“It is really coming into the 22nd century,” Foulger said. “I think James’ idea is ‘how do we create a library structure and system that is as timeless as we can get it?’ That way, when change happens, we don’t have to shift so many things. We can make some subtle adjustments and keep going.”

False alarm causes evacuation at ASU's Hayden Library

ASU professors: Journals disappearing from shelves of Hayden Library

Reach the reporter at ncorr@asu.edu or follow @natalieorr19

×