ASU football defensive back Jordan Simone is out for the season

Head coach Todd Graham confirmed Monday that Simone suffered a season-ending knee injury against Washington

Football Jordan Simone injury

Redshirt senior safety Jordan Simone (38) receives medical attention on the field after sustaining a knee injury against Washington on Saturday, Nov. 14, 2015. The injury put Simone out for the remainder of the season.

ASU football defensive back Jordan Simone will miss the remainder of the 2015 season with a knee injury, coach Todd Graham confirmed Monday.

Simone, who was seen walking off the field in crutches with a brace on his right knee, suffered the injury while making the tackle on a wide receiver reverse during the second quarter of ASU's 27-17 win over Washington on Saturday.

He earned a spot at ASU as a walk-on after transferring from Washington State, eventually gaining a starting spot and earning a scholarship en route to being an All-Pac-12 Honorable Mention player.

"My heart goes out to him," Graham said. " I mean, just a tremendous young man, tremendous story, walking on here, earning a scholarship, the level of play that he played at last year. ... (He) epitomizes our program – (he's) got a heart of a champion. Just a great giver of respect, and you just hate it for him."

Simone's injury comes just a week before the Sun Devils take on rival Arizona in the Territorial Cup. Simone also missed last season's Territorial Cup due to injury.

"He got injured last year and wasn't able to play in the Territorial Cup, so he never got to play in one, so that's tough," Graham said. "But obviously his leadership is still very vital to us, and he'll still play a very key role as we move forward. But my heart goes out to him. That's a tough deal."

Simone finished second on the team in total tackles in 2014 with 100, adding in 4.5 tackles for loss and two interceptions. This season, the safety led the Sun Devils with 91 total tackles through 10 games, adding nine tackles for loss and four sacks.

Fellow captain and roommate Mike Bercovici said Simone's loss is "heartbreaking," but added that Simone will remain his typical self as a leader from the sidelines.

"(I) became best friends with him just because I saw the type of work ethic that he has, and it's every single day. It doesn't matter if it's Sunday morning or if it's the day of the game," Bercovici said. I mean, the kid is just — he's just special. ... If there's one kid that can bounce back from something like this, it's him."

"Goals haven't changed because Jordan is not back there. But Jordan will have an emphasis on this team, and he'll have an output on — he's still going to be that vocal kid that Jordan always is."

ASU football lands 2016 commitment from JUCO defensive end Koron Crump

The Process: How Ray Anderson has made nine home-run hires

Reach the reporter at fardaya@asu.edu or follow @fardaya15 on Twitter.

×