ASU volleyball to compete in NCAA tournament for fourth consecutive year

The Sun Devils will play against Florida State on Thursday.

ASU V Stanford Volleyball
Arizona State University’s women’s volleyball team celebrates their victory against Stanford University, Friday, Oct. 2, 2015, in the Wells Fargo Arena in Tempe.

For the fourth consecutive season, ASU volleyball will be competing in the NCAA tournament.

The Sun Devils will play against Florida State in Gainesville, Florida on Thursday at 2:30 p.m.

ASU began the season with a 15-0 record. It had switched to a 6-2 offense to account for the signing of freshman setter Kylie Pickrell and the transfer of her sister, junior outside hitter Cassidy Pickrell. The plan was developed to get the most out of all four upperclassmen hitters.

It worked. The undefeated streak was the second-best start in program history; ASU was rolling after defeating four top-15 schools, including Stanford for the first time in 15 years.

In the midst of this incredible start, senior outside hitter Macey Gardner cemented herself in the history book: she broke the all-time kills record at ASU.

ASU rose to No. 5 overall.

Gardner tore her ACL and was lost for the season. Junior outside hitter Kizzy Ricedorff was lost the next week due to a recurring injury involving a pinched nerve in her neck.

ASU lost 12 of the next 16 matches with its revolving door for freshman and switching senior middle blocker Whitney Follette to opposite hitter.

Freshmen Kylie Pickrell, opposite hitter Lexi MacLean and middle blocker Jasmine Koonts received consistent playing time during the second half of the season. While they showed improvement, their inexperience harmed the team in a deep Pac-12 conference.

In a battle to get to 20 wins, ASU was defeated by No. 23 Arizona 3-1 in the season finale. 

ASU finished as an unranked team at eighth in the Pac-12.

ASU volleyball swept in Oregon

No. 24 ASU volleyball's upset bid comes up short against No. 1 USC

Reach the reporter at logan.newman@asu.edu or follow @Logan_Newsman on Twitter.

×