Psychedelic rock is experiencing a slight resurgence in the underground music scene as bands strap on guitars and blast hazy riffs out into the world. Flagstaff natives Coffee Pot bring to life a surf and jazz-tinged version of the resurgent sound with their debut eponymous record. The result is an extremely promising debut from a group of rockers that have room to grow.

For being recorded in a bedroom, the recording quality of the songs is noticeably strong, despite some glaring imperfections. Just past the one-minute mark on “See It Coming," a purposeful change in tempo in the song highlights the technical difficulty of recording such a transition. This sin is the most egregious compared to other issues underlying recording problems but the overall experience of the songs isn’t ruined.

The performances are stellar throughout most cuts on this album. Every time saxophonist Tim Bomberg appears, he treats the listener to absolutely wonderful solos over well-timed and well-paced songs. Although the drums on these songs could be tighter, the overall work is extremely strong.

Where the band shines the most is through the use of the guitars, which do most of the heavy lifting throughout the record. The bass via Brendan Bohannon and electric guitar work from Conner Chase envelop the listeners and produces the most emotive and enjoyable points at any time of the record. “Carnivorous Plant” features one of the most enjoyable riffs of the record only to twist into the backdrop for a wonderful sax solo. Seriously, the saxophone moments are awesome.

If there is a problem with the mixing, it is that the cohesion and power of this album rests in the guitars and the vocals are shoved too far back. Beyond the opening track, “Wasted Time,” and the closing song, “Fever Dreams," the vocal performances are a non-factor and don’t garner any positive moments. Often times, the vocal work takes away from the cohesive instrumentals that are attempting to drive independently of the singing.

The feeling of the music is wonderful even beyond the issue of how the vocals are used. Most of the songs are sonically cohesive while remaining distinct in the vibe that each brings to the table. “Wasted Time” is too different from the rest of the album because of how the song progresses down a darker avenue. While the record is relatively short, clocking in at 30 minutes over eight songs, it feels complete when it ends, although slightly abruptly.

Overall, Coffee Pot’s debut is a solid one for fans of psychedelic rock and is an interesting fusion of ideas that, when developed, may yield something really astounding. Yet, just like coffee, the first one is just to get you started. It is the second that really does something special.

Correction:  A previous version of this story incorrectly spelled the names of Conner Chase and Brendan Bohannon.  

Local band The Senators put new spin on indie music

Okilly Dokilly talks internet fame and upcoming show in Phoenix

Reach the reporter at dloche@asu.edu or follow @DMLoche on Twitter.

Like The State Press on Facebook and follow @statepress on Twitter

×