Phoenix Flea unites community in Downtown Phoenix on 'Local Saturday'

Jesse James Mckenzie, Maxwell Bitzer, Colton Compau, Brently Easten staff the Loud Luggage Booth at Phoenix Flea in downtown Phoenix on Nov. 28, 2015. Phoenix Flea, an outdoor market with about 70 vendors at this event, seeks to create local community with artisanal goods.

More than 70 vendors carved out a little localism in downtown Phoenix for Phoenix Flea on Saturday. Local craftsmen, artists and designers come together to create a modern market for the community in the historic Heritage Square in Downtown Phoenix. 

Phoenix Flea was established in 2013. Vendors sell items ranging from vintage clothing, artisan food, hand crafted jewelry, homemade décor and other fun knickknacks.

Many vendors have the same goal and share a love for the state of Arizona. State Forty Eight apparel is one of those vendors. Stephen Polando, a founder of the brand, wanted to have something for the people who shared the same love for Arizona.

Our tag line is Clothing for all inspired by Arizona,' Polando said. We just wanted to put something out there for people who love Arizona, people who have pride for Arizona.

Polando said events like Phoenix Flea are great ways to network with others who love the state of Arizona. 

Lora Barnhiser, of leather accessory company Whole Grain Flair, is a local artist looking to partner with others in the community to help it grow. 

Its really good community building, Barnhiser said. Everybody is very supportive of each other which is really nice. You dont really hear about people trying to out do each other. Its more of a camaraderie, which is really nice.

As the vendors do their part in offering their products, the community plays a major role as well. Barnhiser said when people buy local, it keeps money circulating in our neighborhoods.

Over the last couple of years, Phoenix Flea has grown from only having a small row of vendors to expanding throughout Heritage Square. Local businessman Brendan McCaskey of Jar Of Buttons, has been a part of Phoenix Flea for the last year, and has seen it grow and only looks forward to it growing.

Phoenix Flea gives vendors a place to sell for a day if they dont have storefront to sell, McCaskey said. I can see this turning into a two day thing or maybe even a weekend thing. Hopefully we can expand to vendors outside of Phoenix and to other parts of Arizona. 

Reach the reporter at amnezar1@asu.edu or follow @yelyahdavisy0rk on Twitter.

×