Tempe Police: Man threatens officer with gun he hasn’t bought yet

Police Beat Photo

Tempe Police Headquarters

Tempe police reported the following incident Thursday:

A 20-year-old Phoenix man was arrested Nov. 13 in the 1800 block of East Baseline Road on suspicion of having an outstanding warrant, five charges of shoplifting, refusing to reveal his name and escaping custody, according to a police report.

Target loss prevention employees called police to report a man who they believed to have been involved in several shoplifting cases, police reported. Store security video and still shots clearly identified the man as the same person, according to the report.

While officers escorted him to the police cars, the man fled on foot and loss prevention lost sight of him, police reported.

Officers found the man under a vehicle in the car lot, where the man ran away once again to a group of town homes nearby, according to the report.

Police looked the man for 1.5 hours before officers detained him once again, police reported.

Upon contact, the man threatened the officer, telling her she was lucky he did not have his gun with him, according to the report.

He also told the officer about his gun preferences and that he planned on getting another one once he is released from jail, police reported.

However, during an interview, the man admitted that he did not actually own a gun, though he said he wished he had one, according to the report.

The man had stolen approximately $1,822 worth of merchandise, including cologne, DVDs and other items, police reported.

The man was transported to Tempe City Jail, where he was booked and held to see a judge, according to the report.

Report compiled by Aimee Plante.

Tempe Police: Woman gestures at skateboard shop manager in stabbing motion

Tempe Police: Woman bites officer when he tries to take away pipe

Reach the assistant news editor at aplante@asu.edu or follow @aimeenplante on Twitter

×