RAWR connects volunteers, finds homes for animals in need

RAWR, a club at ASU, aims to connect students to volunteer opportunities and help find good homes for animals in need. ASU graduates Kyrie Martin, Melody Kauffman, Megan Budday and senior Melissa Jordan pose at the 'Paws your Finals Stress' event near Hayden Library in Tempe in 2012.

During finals, most ASU students are at their breaking point with the stress of tests and studying, but one student organization provides a therapeutic break with furry friends. 

Formed in 2012 as a bridge between students and animal rescue organizations in Arizona, the Resource for Animal Welfare and Rescues club at ASU focuses on interacting with, helping and learning about animals.

Biological sciences and kinesiology senior Melissa Jordan has been with the club from its start and said whatever goals students may have with the animal community, RAWR aims to help them achieve.

She added that many students want to get involved volunteering with animals, but don’t exactly know where to look. Jordan said the best part of it is being able to find the outlet they are looking for, whether it’s just hanging out with animals or seeking professional advice.

She said RAWR’s big “claim to fame” is its end of semester “Paws Your Finals Stress” puppy event, where they partner with various organizations to bring adoptable dogs from local shelters and rescues to campus. The event aims to both find dogs good homes and provide a break from finals week for college students. Jordan added that the event also gives the animals a chance to get out of their cages and play for a while.

“It gets really busy really fast with students just wanting to play with dogs and de-stress after all their studying,” Jordan said. “There have been puppy events where every single dog that was at the event has been adopted. I’ve even adopted one.”

Jordan said they make sure students understand the responsibility of owning a pet as well, but it is a great opportunity for members to spread the word about local rescues. RAWR works with organizations like Maricopa County Animal Care and ControlHALO Animal RescueOhana Animal Rescue and other small animal groups.

“A lot of these organizations are run purely off of volunteers,” Jordan said. “So anybody that’s able to pitch in and is able to help take care of the dogs, they’re more likely to be healthy, get adopted and be well socialized.”

Members host volunteer events, such as a day where they make scarves for dogs. Jordan said the idea behind it is the cuter the dogs look, the more likely they are to be adopted. RAWR doesn’t just work with cats and dogs either. 

In the past, members have worked with horse rescues and bunny rescues as well. They also bring in guest speakers for meetings such as emergency veterinarians, dog trainers and representatives from rescue groups from around the Valley.

Jordan said she enjoys the “give a little, get a little” feel of the club and the sense of compassion RAWR’s members have.

“This club has been a huge part of my undergraduate career,” Jordan said. “Not only do I have three dogs now – all through the club – but it gives you a sense of responsibility because you have these animals that are out in the community and you have the ability to go and help them.”

Public Relations sophomore Bryce Bozadjian often volunteers with dogs in shelters and said working with rescue animals not only gives her a dog fix while she’s away from home, but also finds it very rewarding.

“These animals have sometimes been through traumatic and horrific events, even as puppies,” Bozadjian said. “Socializing and walking them for a couple of hours a week is a minor commitment with a huge impact.”

RAWR’s faculty adviser Delon Washo-Krupps said she was happy to see a club of this nature start at ASU. She also runs Prussian Snailhound Dog Rescue in Phoenix, so animal rescue is very important to her.

Biological design graduate student Stefan Tekel said he joined RAWR because he didn’t have a pet at the time and is very passionate about animals.

“Seeing these dogs that have been in shelters for years and then people actually coming and adopting them is very satisfying,” Tekel said. “(It’s fulfilling) knowing that I’m doing my part in helping reduce the amount of animals that have to be put down in the shelters out here.”

Tekel said RAWR is always looking for more people to help with organization and planning events.

To join or get more information, visit RAWR’s page on OrgSync or check out their Facebook page.

Yappy Halloween celebrates holiday while finding animals forever homes

Federal government: 'Dorms OK for dog days'

Reach the reporter at bridget.dowd@asu.edu or follow @bridgetbernice on Twitter.

×