Thinking of inking? Ten tattoo shops near Tempe, Downtown campuses

The interior of No Regrets Tattoo Parlor is pictured on Tuesday, Nov. 24, 2015, in Tempe.

There are a lot of factors that go into making a tattoo great — subject, design, placement, composition and color, to name a few. You can have the coolest idea ever, but getting a quality tattoo really comes down to picking an artist and shop that can turn your dream design into ink you'll still love in 50 years.

Tempe and Phoenix have a multitude of tattoo studios and parlors, and each one provides a completely different experience and result. Getting a tattoo is a long-term decision, so it can never hurt to plan ahead and explore all the different options. Ultimately a little research beforehand can save you from pain, regret and tattoo-removal bills down the road.

Shops Near the ASU Tempe campus:

Black Sails Tattoo

Tattoo shops aren't defined by how many years they've been operating, as long as they have experienced artists with distinct styles and the skills to match. Black Sails was established in 2012, but its five artists have many years of experience specializing in a variety of styles, including American traditional, traditional Japanese, and black-and-white/color realism tattoos.

Latest from Scotty

Posted by Black Sails Tattoo on Friday, June 5, 2015

Healed #lioness by @scotty_rich_tattooer #blackandgray #realistictattoo #lionesstattoo #liontattoo #tempetattoo

A photo posted by blacksailstattoo (@blacksailstattoo) on

Read More: Getting Under My Skin

No Regrets Tattoo Parlor

As stated in their name, No Regrets Tattoo Parlor aims to create art that matches the customer's unique style with an attractive design that will last a lifetime. The shop has been operating in Tempe since 1999 under the direction of owner Harley Goodson, who has been tattooing for over 20 years. The team includes three other artists as well, with specialties ranging from traditional American to portraits and lettering.

Lady Luck Tattoo Gallery

Lady Luck opened in 2006 and features five artists that specialize in realism, portraits, lettering, and traditional American tattoos. One thing to note is that all appointments are made in person, not over the phone. Fortunately, it's just a ten-minute drive from campus —  and a permanent tattoo is worth the effort.

Deets from today #Tatsoul #blackworkers

A photo posted by Mario G. Tattoos (@mariogtattoos) on

Idle Hands Tattoo

Idle Hands' staff includes three tattoo artists and two piercers. The style is largely traditional American, but many of their tattoos include cartoon and realistic elements. As far as piercing goes, they can add bling to ears, noses, lips, cheeks, eyebrows, chins, necks, backs, wrists and a multitude of other unique spots. It's not for the faint of heart, but if you like eye-catching piercings, Idle Hands may be the right place. 

Finished this fun guy today! Tattoo by: Joe Tower

Posted by Idle Hands Tattoo on Friday, July 31, 2015

Living Canvas Tattoos

Living Canvas lives up to its name by transforming its customers' bodies into living works of art. The shop has been operating since 1993 and specializes in tribal tattoos, traditional American and symbolic designs, as well as contemporary and original art. Six artists work in the shop and they have tattooed a long line of famous clients, including Mötley Crüe drummer Tommy Lee and Shawn Marion of the Phoenix Suns.

Here's another look at the phoenix sleeve Mark Walters was working on today!

Posted by Living Canvas Tattoos Inc on Friday, August 14, 2015

Take a look at this incredible hourglass piece that Brandon Quinn did!

Posted by Living Canvas Tattoos Inc on Saturday, June 6, 2015

Shops near the ASU Downtown campus:

Golden Rule Tattoo

Golden Rule's mission is to tell stories through their tattoos in downtown Phoenix. They have two locations, on Roosevelt Street and Camelback Road. Between the locations are 11 artists specializing in realism, portraits, American traditional, geometric and cartoon tattoos. 

Boom. @naturenox made this. The top is fresh, bottom is healed. #GoldenRuleTattoo #goldenruletattoocamelback #forest...

Posted by The Golden Rule Tattoo on Monday, November 9, 2015

Here's some fun feet that @evanrudetattoos made his mark on! #goldenruletattoo #GoldenRuleTattooRoosevelt #tattoo #foottattoo #feettattoo

Posted by The Golden Rule Tattoo on Sunday, November 15, 2015

27 Tattoo Studio

27 Tattoo is committed to creating quality custom tattoos. The shop houses three artists with expertise in portraits, realism, cartoons and geometric tattoos. Unfortunately for younger tattoo enthusiasts, 27 Tattoo doesn't ink anyone under age 18, whether or not a parent or guardian is present.

By @2anthony7

A photo posted by 27 Tattoo Studio (@27tattoostudio_phx) on

Cool Cacti and pottery by @uni_scorn

High Noon Tattoo

High Noon Tattoo has ten artists with diverse expertise ranging from abstract styles to traditional American pieces and hyper-realistic portraits. With so many artists, it's easy to find a professional with the style and finesse to bring your dream tattoo to life.

Gypsy Rose Tattoo

Gypsy Rose Tattoo was established in 2011 and features four tattoo artists with over forty years of combined experience. Their work incorporates styles from traditional American, Japanese, black and gray and mid-century tattoos. 

Revival Art Collective

When you think of a tattoo studio, you probably think of a grungy environment with leather and the lingering scent of Cuban cigars and whiskey — but that couldn't be much farther from reality when it comes to Revival Art Collective. The tattoo studio is home to four artists as well as an art gallery that hosts film screenings, fashion events and art classes.

Tempe tattoo artists discuss industry changes

Think before you ink: How to go about getting your first tattoo

Reach the reporter at skylar.mason@asu.edu or follow @skylarmason42 on Twitter.

×