Update to SeaWorld protest a real 'Jackass' move

US NEWS SEAWORLD 3 SD
An orca whale performs during the One Ocean show at SeaWorld San Diego on Oct. 9, 2015 in San Diego. Battered by controversy over its treatment of killer whales, SeaWorld San Diego announced plans for a new attraction to boost sliding attendance numbers, and intends to phase out its killer whale show.

A new California law has made a splash in the news because it marks the beginning of the end of SeaWorld's famous orca whale shows.

I had originally written my first opinion about SeaWorld in the beginning of the semester. In the article “SeaWorld protest a real 'Jackass' move,” I wrote that SeaWorld may or may not be harmful to the whales but the impact and the amount of whales saved outweigh those who are in captivity.

Since that article ran in August, a lot has changed about SeaWorld. In California, a new law has banned the breeding of whales in captivity which directly affects the SeaWorld in San Diego. The law also bans the sale, trading and transfer of whales. As soon as the 11 whales already in captivity die, SeaWorld said the theme park will phase out the famous “Shamu" show and move toward a more educational show with more about the facts about the whales themselves. The organization made this change due to the decline in visitors to the aquatic amusement park.

The amusement parks have lost millions of dollars in the past two years, after the Blackfish documentary came out. The whale conservation efforts that SeaWorld has put forth are no longer making the same waves that it had in the past. The shows have become dry and the public is not longer interested with SeaWorld has to offer. 

Because of the decline in attention, there is no longer a need for the whales to be in captivity. Almost everyone has seen an orca whale in person; it is so normalized that it is no longer persuading the public to care about this animal. People have come to the point where the well being of orca whales are a top priority and they no longer need to be told to focus on saving the whales.

SeaWorld has helped the orcas whales by creating a more majestic, lovable image of the orca whale. When people see an orca whale for the first time, the whale becomes real to them and a connection is made with that person. The organization has helped killer whales by displaying these magnificent animals and raising money for their conservation, however, I think the time has come for the SeaWorld shows to end.

SeaWorld sidesteps real conversation, responds with propaganda

SeaWorld protest a real 'Jackass' move

Reach the columnist at larober3@asu.edu or follow @lindsayaroberts on Twitter.

×