ASU football offensive coordinator Mike Norvell named new Memphis head coach

Offensive Coordinator Mike Norvell enters the field before the game against UCLA on Saturday, Oct. 3, 2015, at Rose Bowl in Pasadena, California.

Football offensive coordinator and deputy head coach Mike Norvell is leaving ASU to become the head coach at Memphis, per reports from Pete Thamel Sports Illustrated and Geoff Calkins of the Memphis Commercial Appeal.

The news comes just hours after SI's Thayer Evans reported Memphis co-offensive coordinator and quarterbacks Brad Cornelsen left to become Virginia Tech’s offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach under former Tigers head coach Justin Fuente, who also brought Torrian Gray and defensive line coach Charley Wiles on to his Memphis staff. 

Norvell was reportedly visiting Dillon Sterling-Cole, and ASU commit and ESPN 300 quarterback, in Houston Wednesday night. 

2015 Pac-12 football All-Conference selections and superlatives

Report Card: Grading ASU football's 48-46 loss to Cal

Reach the sports editor at smodrich@asu.edu or follow @StefanJModrich on Twitter.

Like State Press Sports on Facebook and follow @statepressport on Twitter.

×