ASU gymnastics freshman to make Pac-12 debuts

Freshmen shine for Gym Devils, while seniors lead by example coming into Pac-12 slate.

ASU junior Taylor Allex scores 9.700 on the uneven bars, but the Sun Devils lost to Oregon State in a tough defeat at Wells Fargo Arena on Feb. 20, 2015. (Kat Simonovic/The State Press)

The ASU gymnastics team will host Washington on Monday night to open Pac-12 action.

The 2016 Gym Devils are a young team with six freshmen whom are making quite an impact already.

In her collegiate debut last weekend, Katelyn Lentz competed in the all-around, tying for first on floor and setting a team-high with a score of 9.850.

Freshmen Heather Udowitch and Corinne Belkoff led the Sun Devils on beam in their collegiate debuts. They scored a 9.750 and 9.725, respectively, topping ASU's scoreboard.

With the freshmen excelling, the senior Gym Devils helped ASU in the first two rotations.

Allie Salas led ASU on vault with a score of 9.800 and Taylor Allex followed with a 9.725, propelling ASU to a score of 48.375.

Seniors Carissa Kraus and Kristine Levin both scored 9.750s on bars and ASU finished with 48.325.

ASU finished its opening weekend with 192.700 points, good for second place in the tournament.

Washington scored season 193.725 in its season opener, falling just shy of Ohio State.

Senior captain Allison Northey propelled the Huskies with top-three finishes in all four events, and won the all-around title against the Buckeyes with a score of 39.225.

Northey’s 9.875 on floor helped Washington post their highest score of the four events against Ohio State with a 48.800.

Junior captain Kaitlyn Duranczyk won her first career bars title and setting a personal best with a score of 9.850. She tied Northey on the beam with a 9.800.

This will be the 61st time Washington and ASU have met in competition. The Gym Devils lead 36-24. In their last meeting, Washington beat ASU in the 2015 Pac-12 Championships 196.000-192.700.

×