ASU hockey scoreless in fourth consecutive game

Despite being confident coming into the weekend, ASU couldn't get on the board.

Sophomore goalie Robert Levin and defensemen Drew Newmeyer and Gianni Mangone defend their net from an Arizona attacker. The Sun Devils routed the Wildcats 7-0 on Jan. 30, 2015 at Ocean Side Arena in Tempe.

Sun Devil Hockey (5-19-2) was swept in the weekend series, dropping their 13th straight as they fell 2-0 to Bemidji State (10-9-4).

TOn Friday, ASU failed to convert in the power play, while being outshot by the Beavers. BSU had gotten off to a hot start, forcing ASU hockey to play from behind. The Sun Devils lost 5-0.

The Sun Devils tried to bounce back in their second matchup.

The teams combined for nine penalties and 29 minutes spent in the power play. Despite that time, the score was incredibly close.

Neither team scored in the first two periods.

At 14:30 in the third period, BSU junior forward Phil Marinaccio found the net and the Beavers took the late 1-0 lead. Not long after, sophomore forward Phillip Fitzgerald deposited his 12th goal and gave Bemidji State the 2-0 edge.

The Sun Devils had many of opportunities to strike and get on the board. BSU had a total of six penalties for 23 minutes. Despite this, ASU came up empty in each of its five power play opportunities.

This is the ASU’s fourth game in a row being held scoreless.

In addition, the Devils were outshot 44-18 on Saturday after being outshot 38-19 in the first game in the weekend, continuing a season trend.

The only positive for ASU was star junior goaltender Robert Levin, who notched 42 saves. 

Freshmen forward Jordan Masters did not get the start. He came into the game as the Sun Devils' leading scorer with 10 goals.

ASU  will try to break the 13 game losing streak next week against Ohio, an ACHA team.

Reach the reporter at chaz.frazier@asu.edu or follow @chazf on Twitter.

Like State Press Sports on Facebook and follow @statepresssport on Twitter.

×