ASU professor Matthew Whitaker voluntarily resigns

Matthew Whitaker

Following the investigation, Whitaker admitted to plagiarizing in an apology letter saying, “I have no excuse for the errors in my book. This history which is near and dear to me and which I have studied since childhood. I was hasty and careless in failing to properly cite and credit all the numerous sources, and my paraphrasing of the work of others was at times inadequate.” 

Following months of controversy, Matthew Whitaker will be resigning from his positions at ASU, which included jobs as associate professor and co-director of the Center for Race and Democracy, according to a statement from ASU.

In keeping with a settlement agreement with ASU, Whitaker had voluntarily resigned from these positions, with resignation from the former effective May 16, 2017 and resignation from the latter effective immediately.

He has been placed on sick leave as of Jan. 11, 2016, according to the statement.

“Upon exhaustion of Whitaker’s sick leave and through May 15, 2017, Whitaker’s duties shall be reasonably assigned,” the agreement stated.

He was first reduced to associate professor in June of last year, and soon after put on leave after being accused of plagiarism from the City of Phoenix in August 2015.

Whitaker’s complaint to the ASU Office of Equity and Inclusion will be withdrawn.

Whitaker had previously dismissed past claims of plagiarism as racially fueled, but following an investigation done by Karin Ellison and a professor at Princeton University, Keith Wailoo, they were found to have merit.

Whitaker will be paid $153,350.50 and receive full employee benefits, such as health insurance, from January 2016 to May 2017, according to his agreement.

If plagiarist ASU professor Matthew Whitaker was a student, he would be expelled

ASU professor Matthew C. Whitaker placed on leave in connection to plagiarism scandal

Reach the reporter at avcabral@asu.edu or follow @angeligagaa on Twitter.

×