ASU track and field defeats four schools in Flagstaff

The men's team finished third and the women's team got fourth place.

Kyle Long - Track - Hammer Throw - April 10, 2015
Sophomore Kyle Long swings the hammer on April 10, 2015 at Sun Angel Field in Tempe, AZ.

ASU track and field had a top-five finish in all but two events it competed in at the Lumberjack Team Challenge, allowing both the men's and women's teams to finish in the upper half.

The team went up against a lot of tough competition including UCLA, Arizona and San Diego State. The Sun Devils finished 4-3-1, the tie coming against Arizona.

ASU saw its sprinters step in the big stage, especially freshman Jeremy Wright. He got fifth in the 400-meter dash (49.42 seconds) and was the anchor for the third-place Sun Devils 4x400 meter relay (3:17).

Wright wasn’t the only ASU sprinter ASU had that ran well. Senior Reggie Lewis earned second place in the 60-meter dash, running 6.8 seconds. Senior Jasmine Gibbs also earned second place in the women's 60-meter dash, running 7.62 seconds, and sophomore Melese Crozier got fifth in the women's 400-meter dash (55.64 seconds).

Crozier was also the lead runner for the 4x400 m relay race. The Sun Devils got second place with her, junior LaTroya Franklin and freshman Sydney Mosley and Sierra Irvin (3:47).

ASU distant runners put on a decent performance.

Three ASU mid-distance runners got top-20 times in the 800-meter race. Senior Trevor Landry got fifth (1:56), junior Kyle Elliott took eighth (1:58 seconds) and junior Blake Elliott took 16th (2:00:76). 

Blake Elliot was also on the first-place distance medley team, finishing in 10:31. The women's distance medley team also won (12:16).

While ASU performed well in those events, there were several that caused problems.

The men's team didn’t have anyone compete in the 60-meter hurdles. As for the women's, freshman Alexandra Williams got 18th place, running 9.22 seconds. No one competed in the men's or women's 1-mile race, 200-meter dash or 3000 meter run.

ASU's pole vaulting team led the field events. Four women placed in the top five, all jumping at least 3.55 meters.

Three men's vaulters got in the top-five as well, each getting above 4.8 meters.

Junior Tim White and senior Josh Dixon excelled in the jumping events. They got first and second in the triple jump, respectively, and Dixon got third in the long jump to finish one spot ahead of White.

Freshman Mason Ford jumped 2.1 m in the high jump, getting third place. Freshman Reed Bussey didn't fare as well, jumping into eighth place with a 1.95 finish.For the women's triple jump, junior Keyasia Tibbs took second place, jumping 12.78 m. 

Junior Kyle Long took first in the men's weight throw, throwing 17.71 m, and was seventh at shot put with a throw of 16.97 m, but his two teammates did better in that event. Junior Thomas Anderson earned fourth with a throw of 17.76 m and senior Ahmed Hassan was only .02 shy from Andersen, finishing fifth.

ASU women throwers put in work as well. Junior Ashley Weber took second place at the weight throw, throwing 18.12 m and fifth place at the shot put with 14.63 m. Her teammate, sophomore Maggie Ewen took second in the shot put with 16 m and third in the weight throw with 17.91 m.

Reach the reporter at osoussi@asu.edu or follow @omarksoussi on Twitter.

Like State Press Sports on Facebook and follow @statepresssport on Twitter.

×