Bobby Hurley's intensity good for ASU men's basketball

While Hurley needs to control his emotions, his intensity helps the team and gets fans to pay more attention.

Head Coach Bobby Hurley reacts after being ejected in the second half against UA on Sunday, Jan. 3, 2016, at Wells Fargo Arena in Tempe. The Wildcats defeated the Sun Devils 94-82.

Head coach Bobby Hurley ended ASU men's basketball's attempted comeback with two late technicals resulting in ejection and three points for Arizona.

“I really wouldn’t have changed anything that I did today in terms of anything that happened,” he said after the game.

He shouldn’t regret it. Not really, at least. ASU men’s basketball has desperately needed an injection of enthusiasm.

As he stormed off the court, the crowd — and Twitter — was in a frenzy.

Fan can’t be happy about a loss to Arizona. But, for the first time I can remember, they’re not absolutely livid. They’re excited. They can’t wait to get a rematch. They can’t wait to see what Hurley does next.

Willie Atwood said he ignites the team.

“We try to get the fire from him because he really fights for us hard and we play hard for him,” he said.

Gerry Blakes said the enthusiasm helps the team.

“We appreciate him fighting for us like he does, that’s big for us and ultimately that intensity rubs off on us,” he said.

Hurley must learn to control his emotions. ASU can’t afford to give great teams free baskets, especially late in the game.

However, with a strong start on the court and an intense presence on the bench, the fans have a greater reason to fill up the stands.

“I always want the spotlight to be on the performers and the guys in the game and it shouldn’t be about anything more than that,” Hurley said. “And that goes for all of us. It goes for coaches, officials, everyone. It should always be about the players. Players should decide the game.”

Reach the sports editor at logan.newman@asu.edu or follow @Logan_Newsman on Twitter.

×