Sun Devils drop consolation game of Desert Hockey Classic

ASU hockey's losing streak tumbles to 11 as ASU fails to score on three power plays.

Freshman goalie Ryland Pashovitz stops the UConn shot during the second period of the Desert Classic Tournament at Gila River Arena on Sunday, Jan. 10, 2016, in Glendale.

ASU hockey's losing streak fell to 11 games Sunday after its 3-0 loss to UConn in the third-place game of the Desert Hockey Classic.

A slow start by the Sun Devils left them without a shot on goal before their second power play chance, a 5-on-4 opportunity from a high-sticking call to Connecticut’s sophomore left wing Spencer Naas. ASU didn’t register a goal in the period, but did manage to compete harder as the period went on. After one frame, UConn was outshooting ASU 13-9.

UConn was more successful in the second period, taking a 1-0 lead on an even-strength goal from senior right wing Joey Ferriss, his second of the season.

With less than five minutes left in the second, junior forward Eric Rivard got a penalty for boarding. While he was in the box, UConn senior left wing Shawn Pauly doubled the lead.

In the third period, Ferriss put his team up 3-0 with his second goal of the game, an even-strength tally with just less than five minutes left in the game.

The Sun Devils had three power play opportunities in the game, managing just one shot on goal in six minutes of advantage. The Sun Devils also failed to score on two breakaway opportunities. ASU head coach Greg Powers said his team could’ve capitalized on those chances.

“We had every opportunity to get the lead, and get momentum, and play downhill, and we didn’t take it,” Powers said. “Same old story, we miss a couple breakaways, 2-on-1’s, (we were) tapping on the back door there and just can’t score.”

After the final horn, UConn had outshot ASU 29-20.

A positive takeaway for the Sun Devils was the strong play by freshman goaltender Ryland Pashovitz, who stopped 26 of 29 shots and made a highlight-reel pad save early in the game.

“(Pashovitz) was awesome. He was great,” said Powers. “I don’t think he let in a bad goal all weekend. Tonight, he did what he had to do in order for us to have a chance to beat a Division 1 team. He held us in the game.”

Senior defenseman Jordan Young, a scratch in Sunday’s game, also praised his netminder.

“He’s unbelievable, best player on the team,” said Young. “He’s the only reason why we’re kind of – I think – positive about where we’re at right now. He’s doing great.”

Reach the assistant sports editor at mattjlayman@gmail.com or follow @Mattjlayman on Twitter.

×