ASU softball’s 1:30 afternoon game didn’t happen. 

Due to 22 runs in the morning matchup between University of San Diego and Maryland, the Sun Devils’ game against Portland State began around 3:00.

Compared to the Sunday’s 11:15 game at Farrington Stadium, ASU’s against PSU felt scoreless.

Neither team put up a run until junior shortstop Chelsea Gonzalez stepped to the plate in the bottom of the second.

She got an inside pitch, which she hit hard but pulled foul. She got another pitch in the same location. She didn’t let this one by.

Gonzales launched it over the left field wall, hitting her 20th career home run and putting ASU up by one.

The lead did not last long — the first batter in the third inning hit a ball just over the right field wall. The Vikings didn’t stop, putting runners on first and second with just one out.

Junior catcher Alex Flores hit it deep to center. Senior outfielder Jennifer Soria raced back, leaping and colliding into the wall. She hung on.

ASU escaped the inning without allowing any more damage.

The Vikings started the bottom half of the third on a poor omen; the first two ASU batters got hit by pitch, and PSU freshman pitcher Alyssa Burk threw a wild pitch to allow a runner to advance to third.

With runners on the corners, Gonzales stepped up to the plate.

She rocketed the ball to left-center. The ball ricocheted off the wall, knocking both runs in.

Gonzales had two of ASU’s first three hits, and had the first three RBIs of the game.

It was all ASU needed, but she wasn't done. In the bottom of the sixth, she cleared the center field wall — almost in the exact place as the double, but higher — for a two-run home run. She finished the day 3-4 with two home runs and five RBIs.

Sophomore pitcher Dale Ryndak pitched very composed in a complete game, allowing just one run coming off the solo shot. She gave up eight hits.

ASU defeated PSU 5-1. They'll get back onto the diamond for the second half of the double-header shortly.

Reach the sports editor at logan.newman@asu.edu or follow @Logan_Newsman on Twitter.

×