ASU swim and dive breaks numerous school records, men defeat U of A

Sun Devil women lose to Arizona in last home meet of the season.

Richard Bohus celebrates record breaking
Junior Richard Bohus celebrates after taking first in the men's 100-yard backstroke on Saturday, Feb. 6, 2016, at the Mona Plummer Aquatic Center in Tempe, for a new ASU record of 46.74 seonds.

ASU Swim and Dive took on their rivals from Tucson, the U of A WIldcats, in the annual territorial cup Saturday on Senior Day.

In ASU's last home meet of the season - which drew the largest crowd they've had this year - six Sun Devils swimmers were honored.

In the meet, ASU men's swimming broke numerous school records.

After ASU's women lost the 200-yard relay to start the day, ASU's "A-team" took first and third place for the men. Richard Bohus, Christian Lorenz, Tadas Duskinas and anchor Patrick Park broke the ASU school record with the time of 1:25.65.

Later, ASU's Kat Simonovic earned second place in the 200-yard freestyle. Her time of 1:46.42 was just nine-hundredths of a second under U of A's winner, senior Taylor Schick.

In the men's 200 freestyle, Barkley Perry started off behind the pack but quickly gained ground en route to his first place finish for the men's swim team. ASU junior Thomaz Martins also swam well, securing second place and giving the men's squad a key thirteen point boost.

In the men's 100-yard backstroke, ASU nabbed first and second place with Richard Bohus hanging on for a first place finish to the excitement of the raucous crowd. Bohus placed a new ASU school record in that event, with a time of 00:46.74.

U of A swept the ASU women in the 100 yard breaststroke, further burying them under a pile of points. However, ASU's men's swim were able to carry their momentum with a victory from Lorenz, who set a new ASU school record with a time of 53.18.

In the men's 200-yard butterfly, Park had a dominant showing. He started off with the lead and retained it for an ASU victory. U of A's Justin Wright almost caught up at the end, just two-tenths of a second behind Park. It was Park's best 200-yard butterfly time of the season.

The women weren't faring as well on the day, being swept in the 100-yard breaststroke and losing other events, like the 50-yard freestyle. Through the first break, the ASU women trailed 102-27.

The men were leading 81-50.

During the break, Olympic gold medalist and ASU assistant swim coach Michael Phelps beat other post-collegiate swimmers in the 200 yard mixed freestyle. This was the first time this season ASU hosted Olympic swimmers during the break.

"It is great being able to watch the guys work out and accept the challenges that Bowman has presented because these swimmers have never been challenged like this before." he said. "I am really looking forward to being on the coaching staff next season and watching this team progress."

In the first swim after the break, the ASU women got third place in the 100-yard freestyle from Alysha Bush.

For the men, Bohus' 100-yard freestyle performance was his third win of the day. Duskinas placed second as well, giving ASU a total of 13 points from the 100 freestyle.

The ASU women broke through with a victory from Senior Jennifer Morgan in the 200-yard backstroke.

Perry's time in that event for the men tied the ASU school record with a time of 1:42.50, and earned another nine points for the Sun Devils.

Lorenz dominated the 200-yard breaststroke, breaking Thibaut Capitaine's previous record.

The ASU men finished the day with a 128 - 79 win. The U of A women beat ASU, 148 - 56.

"It was amazing to be a part of today's rivalry." ASU head coach Bob Bowman said. "Rivalries are what makes college athletics fun, especially coming away with a win."

Reach the reporter at Graham.Paul@asu.edu or follow @GrahamASUpress on Twitter.

×