ASU volleyball hires Stevie Mussie

Mussie spent two years at Penn State, a school that has seven national championships since 1999.

ASU V Stanford Volleyball
Arizona State University’s women’s volleyball team celebrates their victory against Stanford University, Friday, Oct. 2, 2015, in the Wells Fargo Arena in Tempe.

ASU athletic director Ray Anderson struck big again, hiring Penn State assistant coach Stevie Mussie to replace Jason Watson as ASU volleyball's head coach.

As far as national powerhouses in collegiate programs go, Penn State volleyball ranks among the top of the hierarchy.

It's reached the NCAA tournament every year since 1981, all behind the same head coach (Russ Rose). It's been to the Final Four 12 times, winning the championship seven of them, each since 1999.

The team has a .843 all-time winning percentage.

Mussie coached on the team for the last two years, winning a championship in 2014 and losing in the Regional Semifinals last year. The 2015 appearance was Penn State's 13th consecutive in the Regional Semifinals, the longest active streak.

“Looking at Stevie’s track record she has experienced measurable success at each stop in her coaching career," Anderson said in a press release. "She has an innate ability to relate to student-athletes on a personal level and tremendous energy and enthusiasm for bringing the next world-class volleyball players to ASU."

Mussie has also been an assistant coach at Virginia and North Carolina State. According to Sun Devil Athletics, her first season at NC State was the biggest RPI-turnaround ever for a first-year coach.

She also won an NCAA championship while playing on the University of Washington team in 2005.

Mussie was not immediately available for an interview.

Reach the sports editor at logan.newman@asu.edu or follow @Logan_Newsman on Twitter.

×