Tempe Police: Man pawns roommate's things to pay for new tires

Police Beat photo

The Tempe Police station, which is located on Fifth Avenue near College Avenue. 

Tempe Police reported incidents on Wednesday:

A 41-year-old man was arrested on Jan. 13 on the 4900 block of South Wendler Drive on suspicion of theft and trafficking stolen property, according to a police report. 

The man’s roommate reported that the man had stolen from him after the two were evicted and given a 21-day notice to vacate the home, police reported.

Following his eviction, the man was granted access to the apartment where they had separate rooms, according to the report.

After the man had moved out, his roommate was also granted access to the apartment to gather his property and move out, police reported.

The roommate noticed his Vizio sound bar, flat screen television and Xbox 360 were gone, according to the report.

Officers found a pawn check and video surveillance that verified that the man had pawned those items, police reported.

The man initially said the items he pawned were his, but eventually admitted to stealing and pawning them because he needed money for new tires, according to the report. 

The man was taken to Tempe City Jail, where he was booked and held to see a judge, police reported.

A 47-year-old man was arrested on Jan. 17 on the 2130 block of East Broadway Road on suspicion of aggravated assault and weapon misconduct, according to a police report. 

The man pointed a gun at a passing vehicle, police said. A road rage incident led to an assault after the two vehicles turned onto Broadway from McClintock, according to the report. 

The man stayed behind the other car at a red light and intimidated them verbally, when is when the passengers said they started to fear for their safety, police said.

Officers located the vehicles and found the semi-automatic handgun, according to the report. 

After the people in the other car identified the suspect, he was placed under arrest, police said.

The man was taken to Tempe City Jail, where he was booked and held to see a judge, according to the report. 

Reports compiled by Angelica Cabral.

Reach the reporter at avcabral@asu.edu or follow @angeligagaa on Twitter.

×