Tempe Residence Hall Association votes to oppose increase in student programming fee

isaac-miller-rha-meeting

Tempe USG President Isaac Miller leads a question-and-answer session with the Tempe Residence Hall Association on Thursday, Feb. 18, 2016. 

The ASU Tempe campus Residence Hall Association narrowly voted Thursday to voice their opposition to a $5 increase in the student programming fee. 

The fee would increase from $25 to $30, garnering a extra $600,000 across the four campuses. 

The vote followed a question-and-answer session with Tempe Undergraduate Student Government President Isaac Miller. 

The RHA body voiced concerns over how fairly and efficiently the money would be distributed, the financial impact of a fee increase on students and whether programming was the right fund to increase. 

Miller clarified the potential impacts and drawbacks of increasing the fee, which would go into effect pending USG's approval. 

However, he said implementation of the fee was very much mutable. 

How the fee is applied and where the resulting money goes depended upon the response USG receives from the student body and various organizations, he said. 

Based on its outreach, the Council of Presidents will make a recommendation to ASU administration, which will voice its support or opposition. However, the ultimate decision falls to the Council. 

Miller recommended that the fee be accepted, but if there was considerable outcry, USG would listen to the student body, he said. 

"Nothing is set in stone," Miller said. 

Reach the reporter at Arren.Kimbel-Sannit@asu.edu or follow @akimbelsannit on Twitter.

×