Tempe Police: Man claimed false identity before meth stash discovered

Police Beat photo

The Tempe Police station, which is located on Fifth Avenue near College Avenue. 

Tempe Police reported the following incidents Wednesday:

A 45-year-old Tempe man was arrested Jan. 27 at Third Street and Mill Avenue on suspicion of falsely reporting information to law enforcement and possession of dangerous drugs, according to a police report.

Police stopped the man for riding a bicycle at nighttime without a light, police reported. 

At that time, the man advised police he had no identification on him and verbally provided a name and date of birth, according to the report. 

During questioning, he provided police with two other birthdates and then another name, police reported.

Police searched the suspect and found an ID identifying him as neither of the names he provided and with a birthday more than a decade earlier than the ones listed, leading them to arrest him for providing false information to law enforcement, according to the report.

Further search revealed the suspect had a baggie of crystal methamphetamine in his pants pocket, the ownership of which he denied, police reported.

The man was transported to Tempe City Jail, where he was booked and held to see a judge, according to the report.

A 26-year-old Phoenix man was arrested Jan. 16 on the 1100 block of West Elliot Road on suspicion of theft by misrepresentation, according to a police report. 

Investigators discovered that over a three-week period, the suspect, a Staples employee, fraudulently created several manual returns of store merchandise,police reported. 

By using item number codes to create purchases and subsequently cancelling those purchases, the man would return the money to Visa gift cards, which he would then keep or give to family members, according to the report.

He accumulated $8,000 in fraudulent funds, police reported. The man admitted his theft, according to the report.

The man was transported to Tempe City Jail, where he was booked and held to see a judge, police reported. 

Reports compiled by Arren Kimbel-Sannit.

Tempe Police: Man flees through backyard after trespassing and stealing vehicle

Tempe Police: Intoxicated man yells obscenities after exiting an Uber

Reach the reporter at Arren.Kimbel-Sannit@asu.edu or follow @akimbelsannit on Twitter.

×