Viola Davis discusses life as actress, philanthropist and woman of color in lecture at ASU

Viola Davis speaks at Delievering Democracy Lecture held at the Pilgrim Rest Baptist Church in downtown Phoenix on Friday, Feb. 27, 2016.

Viola Davis discussed her involvement with social justice Saturday evening as the headline speaker for the ASU Center for the Study of Race and Democracy’s annual Delivering Democracy Lecture.

Davis is a vocal advocate for social justice and equality in Hollywood, especially in regard to women of color. Davis said there are a lot of great black actors, but Hollywood either doesn’t have scripts for black actors or the scripts they do have give into a particular stereotype.

In response to the recent #OscarsSoWhite controversy, Davis said she won't attend this year’s ceremony. She said the problem isn’t with the Oscars, but with the people behind the scenes.

“The problem are the people in positions of power in Hollywood,” Davis said. "I can only be honest —you watch movies, I do movies — (the red carpet's) not as exciting,” she joked. “It’s just a long evening.”

Davis has starred in movies such as “The Help” and "Eat Pray Love" and currently stars in "How to Get Away with Murder" on ABC. 

Davis grew up in poverty within a predominately white neighborhood, which she said triggered her low self-esteem.

“I grew up with an environment that defined me as an individual,” Davis said. “That’s what dysfunction does — that’s what poverty does.”

Davis said she deals with racism in Hollywood by refusing to be limited because she’s a black woman.

“What I do is that I fight it (scrutiny) with intellect,” said Davis. "I don’t want any limitations put on me. I’m not going to filter down my world to meet you. You have to come to me.”

Global health and justice studies junior Grace Berry said she was a fan of Davis' work before attending the event.

"I like her show and I watched her speech for the Emmys and I thought it was really, really good and I wanted to hear her speak," Berry said. 

Psychology senior Jazzy Gibson said Davis is a successful and positive role model for women of color. 

"She's African-American. She's darker and that empowers me because a lot of times lighter women get the roles," Gibson said. "I got a lot of knowledge about acting and I might want to act in the future."

Reach the reporter at sgreene6@asu.edu or follow @thesydneygreene on Twitter.

×